compression fittings on gas pipe under floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had a new boiler fitted (its been off for two weeks) and the plumber has noticed a few compression fittings on the existing gas pipe under the lounge floor, he told my wife its sound but not allowed and he either does it (for £50) or with my permission he will have to cap off my gas. As money is tight at the moment could he not just leave it but make a note on the gas safety certificate until after xmas when (and i will get it done) i will be able to afford it.He's off to the footie today but coming back on monday to finish off. (He's left boiler on till then). By the way its been there for at least 5 years. Thanx.

Sponsored Links
Its only a minute risk but he is acting correctly as we are instructed to do!

Two simple solutions!

You refuse to have it turned off OR the obvious answer that he does it now and you give hom a future dated cheque.

Tony

Ive had a new boiler fitted (its been off for two weeks) and the plumber has noticed a few compression fittings on the existing gas pipe under the lounge floor, he told my wife its sound but not allowed and he either does it (for £50) or with my permission he will have to cap off my gas. As money is tight at the moment could he not just leave it but make a note on the gas safety certificate until after xmas when (and i will get it done) i will be able to afford it.He's off to the footie today but coming back on monday to finish off. (He's left boiler on till then). By the way its been there for at least 5 years. Thanx.
You can afford a new boiler but not 50 quid? :eek:

Thanks tony, never thought of the post dated cheque, i'll have a word on monday.
Bunny, its through having to get a new boiler that i cant afford the £50 at the minute (kids and xmas = me skint) i will have the work done either way. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Tony, when was the last time you went to Tescos and paid by POST DATED CHEQUE??? they wont even take your cheque with bankers card.

The op should cut back on xmas and get the pipe done now!

Andy

I havent got the unsafe sits handy at the moment but I would have thought that existing compression joints if sound would be ncs, I cant see any reason to cap off his supply if the customer decides not to have it done, not sure if I am right or wrong on this one :unsure:

Ask him to show you were it says in the regs that you have to cap the gas off if you find a compression fit under the floor.
It is utter nonsense. At the very most, it could be qualified as NCS, but even that is arguable.
The other solution is to leave the floor board above the loose which makes it an accessible compression joint.

They don't like them under floors as they class them as difficult to get to, but if enough board is taken up and access is easy I don't see a problem.

dweeble";p="1805884 said:
the plumber has noticed a few compression fittings on the existing gas pipe under the lounge floor,

You don`t say whether it is a suspended wood floor or concrete etc, If it is a suspended wood floor then the fitting most be classed as accessible, for two reasons, 1, you can obviously access it to notice it. 2, It is obviously easily accessible to work on, because how was it originally fitted if it wasn`t?. Stick to that argument and have good xmas.

regards

spraggo[

Why didn't the installer just change them as a 'thank you' for giving him the work? It's only pence when all said and done.

as a 'thank you' for giving him the work?

JIJUCA5QDNRTCA188TQECAWGXZ1ZCAQL9NB.jpg

since when should we grovel to customers for giving us a job
you much think we are desperate, like f*ck

It's only pence when all said and done.

it's a business not charity so pay up.

If it was a concrete floor how would the fitter know without x ray vision ?, if it was only a couple of joints and I wasn't happy with them, I would just do it, not because I am that grovely because the customer gave ma a job, but because I don't price my boiler jobs that tight that I have to worry about a few fittings or an extra 20 minutes.

I would just do it, not because I am that grovely because the customer gave ma a job, but because I don't price my boiler jobs that tight that I have to worry about a few fittings or an extra 20 minutes.

thats right abit of give n take don't hurt no one
as for the ar*sehole customers that think we owe them something they get charged double +vat.
laughingchimp.gif

the gas fitter can only "request" to turn off and cap a supply that is "Immediately Dangerous" if you refuse he MUST contact the gas supplier who will deal with it by capping your gas, if the gas guy says it is "At Risk" he must ask for your permission to turn the supply off, if you refuse he will write a warning notice which advises you of his advice and leaves the onus on you whether you take the chance of using it, if it is simply "Not to Current Standards" he simply advises you the work should be upgraded.
i would call this NCS, speak to the fitter to see what category he calls this, which will determine his action.
PS the fitter is 100% wrong to leave the gas on to the boiler if he is saying this is ID, if you refuse permission to cap it he MUST contact the gas supplier, discuss this with him on monday, he will prob say he was doing you a favour, tell him he has no right to do you a favour and you want something in writing from him on what he categorises the situation, if ID he should have contacted the gas supplier, if AR he should have issued you with a warning notice to cover him, which would have allowed the gas to stay on with you taking all the risk, if NCS he should advise you of the upgrade required and can leave the supply on.

thats right abit of give n take don't hurt no one
as for the ar*sehole customers that think we owe them something they get charged double +vat.
Quite. Nobody likes doing freebies, but in the course of a boiler change I've done a few inclusive things like that just to make the client feel happy. A ball valve or stoptap is fine. I would draw the line at swapping a bog though!

Next the OP will tell us he has paid a few hundred quid for this boiler swap. :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back