Compression Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

i'm currently in the middle of doing up my bathroom.

I've finished the 1st Fix for the piping, (at least I think thats the right description). Then dot and dabbed plasterboard onto the walls were the pipework is.

Now i've been careful to try and avoid any joints in the bathroom as it will be fully tiled and obviously the very last thing I want is a leak. I even managed to get a continuous run of copper from outside the bathroom, along floor, up the wall and out for the mixer shower (yep this was a big deal to a novice like myself). However for the toilet and basin feeds I decided to put compression elbows into the wall to save time and copper.

Now having put the plasterboard up I was worried my joints may leak so decided to test them by capping the ends off and turning on the manifolds and it turns out that the cold feed to the toilet has a small leak on it :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Should I just tighten the compression further and if so how? as its in the wall. I can cut some plasterboard away but i'll be working in a very confined area so was wondering if their where special tools for this? OR should I redo the whole length without the elbow which will involve a lot of time and cost (given my pipe bending skills & cutting int the plasterboard).

cheers for any replies
Scholesy :)

Sponsored Links
just been to the local shed and got a tool that seems to have done the job. Managed to get another part turn on the joint and the leak has stopped.

Should compression generally be OK behind tiling? Thinking you need to be 100% sure its not going to leak. OR do you pro's stay well clear of them?

thought that might be the case :cry: :cry:

Well they're in now so i'm going to have to cross my fingers. I take it theirs no point in trying to wrap anything around the outsides as an extra precaution, maybe even soldering? I guess once the water passes the olive thats it.

How do you get on when putting in chrome tails in a bathroom for rads? Have you just got to use compression and hope they work?

cheers
Scholesy :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back