Compression Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put this in the DIY disasters forum, i appreciate that was probably not the best place to put it, but was hoping someone could help

Thanks

Hi there,

Was undertaking some plumbing work over the weekend and have found that one of my compression fittings is leaky no matter how much i tighten it.

i have a flexi pipe coming from the original copper pipe connected to a smaller copper pipe which then fits to the tap connector. its those last two compression fittings that are leaking.

Is it possible to remove the middle shorter copper pipe and use something like this to connect the two flexi pipes together

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...ngs/specificationsSpecificProductType=sockets

also, this says its size is 19mm, does that mean the outer socket size is 19mm but would work well for the 15mm flexi male or is this for a 19mm pipe?

i'm its not ideal to have the two flexi hoses together but it was all i could and it was my first ever time pluming

Thanks

T

Sponsored Links
If possible a photo would make it easier to see the problem. Is the smaller pipe to the tap 10mm or is everything 15mm ?

theres a number of options available here. You could try a short flexi hose compression fittings.

images

for the flexi tube, would that part from B & Q be ok to use

All pipes in the set up are 15mm

Sponsored Links
Open the bad compression joint, wrap 2-3 layers of PTFE tape over the olive and re-assemble - this should stop the leaky joint. You have probably over=tightened the joint.

In my experience the screw fitting that you propose is just as difficult to seal if you have mains pressure.

thanks all, i got a couple of these which did the trick

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j.../specificationsSpecificProductType=connectors

The issue i then got was that the cold water pressure was really weak and then all of a sudden no water at all came out of the cold water side. The hot tap was fine.

The toilet cistern filled up ok and the cold taps in the bathroom and kitchen were fine.

Could this be an airlock or what else could it be? also, how can i fix?

Thanks alot for your help so far

Can I assume that the tap you're repairing is a mains-fed kitchen tap? Is the toilet and bathroom taps fed from a tank in the loft or are they on mains as well?
If they're tank fed and the tap you're working on is on the mains then a possibility is that wherever you've turned the water off (main stopcock?) that it hasn't turned on again (stuck washer?). Mains pressure should be enough to move an airlock. The other taps (including hot) will continue to work until the tank in the loft is empty.
Another thought, the flexi hose you added - does it have a tap built in to it, operated by a screwdriver. It could be in the closed position (90 degrees to the water flow)

the toilet/WC cold tap is the problem

all other taps are fine.

There is no tanks are fitted in the flat

thanks

Are you sure you havnt kinked the flexi ? also undo the flexi and check there is no cr@p been flushed into the hose, these can sometimes have quite narror bores.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back