Computer crashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks got a problem with my PC. It started a few days ago when I started getting yellow lines down the screen after it had sat in standby mode. Rebooting cured it. Now it does it by the screen suddenly turning into modern art and then it goes to a blue screen for about 2 seconds saying something about a problem and shutting down to prevent damage. Then it re-boots and it all goes OK for a while. Motherboard?

Sponsored Links
I have to post in segment in case it crashed whilst I'm typing.

It's about 5 years old and I guess that the on-board components are drying out.

I'll try cleaning the fan in case it's an overheating problem.

I tried a restore point a while back and it made no difference so I guess it's a hardware problem.

It could be the graphics adaptor if separate from the board. If it's integrated, it could equally be a dodgy or unseated stick of ram. If the latter, try reseating the RAM and running some memory diagnostics.

Sponsored Links
It did somewhere along the line say there was a problem with the nvidia driver. I'll take it undone and have a look. I'll try and find the right driver and refresh it.

It's still playing up. The is fitted with a NVIDIA GEFORCE 8300GS

I guess replacing this would probably sort it.

However, they seem to be about 50 quid.

Is it possible to use a different video card?

Any ideas?

Cheers.

EDIT:

Been looking at the geforce 8400 which seems easier to get second hand. Is that compatible?

Cheers

Try reseating the card first, if you haven't already. If replacing, you need to ensure you get one with the same interface type (i.e., the slot it's plugged in to).

If I take the card out to clean it - do I need to take any sort of precaution (apart from switching off) such as static? Can I use contact cleaner?

I wouldn't bother to clean the contacts, just lift it from it's slot and replace it.

Before you do, is the fan on the card spinning when powered up?

The GEForce 8300GS can be bought for around £30 GEForce 8400GS is also a PCI Express card so should be a straightforward replacement, should you go down that route.
I have a GEForce 8400GS Graphics card in my computer, Up to now (2 1/2 yrs) I've never had a problem with it (although I have had problems with the computer)
I did look at getting a nice new graphics card, but a lot of modern ones require additional power (which my PSU couldn't supply) ,, but I'm fairly happy with what I have at the moment. Might look at a new system later on in the year, with a nice graphics card though, (er indoors keeps on about laptops, but their not that upgradeable) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hi folks. A bit of an update.

I couldn't see if the fan was spinning so I took the unit onto my bench and took the cover off.

I took out the graphics card and turned it over to look at the fan as suggested by Igorian.

In the fan blades was a ball of fluff the size of a mothball. If the fan was spinning at all it would have been much impeded.

I've got a vacuum that blows as well as sucks so I blew all the dust and crap out of the fan and the case. Now I've put it back together again so I'll just have to see how it goes.

I'm thinking the sequence may have been:

Switch on and it works OK.

Ball of fluff impedes the fan.

Unit goes into thermal shut-down and crashes.

Reboots and works for a while as the thing has cooled a bit.

Fluff impedes fan.......etc.

If this doesn't sort it then it's a new card, but fingers crossed.

Thanks to all who helped.

Sounds about right. It's still worth checking if the fan is running as they are prone to giving up. If you can't visually check, just hold your finger carefully over the top of the fan so it just catches the spinning (or not) blades. Obviously, don't shove your finger right in.

Still no probs. Looks like it's fixed. :D

Sponsored Links
Back