computer help needed please (usb storage)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Not sure if posted in the right place??

Im after some help. I purchased 500 usb pens to give out to potential customers etc. When i purchased them they asked me if i wanted any data added to them. Well ye it will save me doing it so i went with the offer.

Anyway, the data on them is now out of date so today i was going to delete the out of date stuff and add the up to date info to a few of them ready to give out. I tried to delete the out of date info and the computer told me the USB pens are locked !

I have tried to format them but it wont let me do this either.

Also (which i found strange) the usb pens open up as two drives. The first drive loads up the out of date data and the other drive is empty. This has confused many customers when they ring me to tell me the usb pen is blank.

What i need to do is format the usb pens and turn them back into one drive. I then would like to add my own data just like i would on a usb pen i would purchase from pc world etc.

THE QUESTION--- how can i do this? can i download software? i dont mind paying for software providing it works. Also is there a way i could give a usb pen a id so i know whos pen it is if they was to copy files off it ?

Any help would be great thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like your USB drive has two areas (will show as two drives on on your computer). One which is from the USB manufacturer and the other is for storing data.
This (usually smaller) partition usually has some software that runs prompts you for a password to allow you write access to it.
This basically protects the data and can even be configured only to allow you to read the data after entering the password.

So you have 3 options.
1. Locate the password (should have been provided to you) in the instructions.
Launch the executable from the smaller drive and it will most likely launch a wizard.. you can then enter the password and configure the security on the device.. For example you could probably turn this feature off, once you have done the first authentication.
You will have to repeat this for each stick.

2. Try a reformat of the stick this will wipe all your data so make sure you have a copy.. But sounds like you do.

3. Re-partition the stick.. This is tricky in windows and easier with a tool like gparted in linux.. Which is not for the first timers to partitioning.

Try the first two and see how you go.
Oh if you can post a link to the people that did it for you or the make of the stick that might help.

Sponsored Links
hi, thanks.

I gave this a go but it still comes up the usb is write protected and can not format.

Any more ideas?

Are you sure their are no lock switches anywhere on the usb drive?
if the tool i posted won't format then it must have something to do with the drive partitions and if the drive is set as actve check the drive under disk mangemnt that can be found by going to Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools\computer management
I would be happy to take a look at one of the drive's over teamviewer if you wanted?

Have you tried contacting the people that sold them to you?

I gave this a go but it still comes up the usb is write protected and can not format.

Was that in reference to the HP Format Tool or command line DiskPart?

Hi, i was referring to the HP tool. Some how i missed your post ?

Had a look at your link and to be honest its a little to complicated for me along with the amount of time it will take me. Im hoping for a programe that will pretty much what your link does for me.

Problem is i have a fair few hundered of these to do !

Sponsored Links
Back