Computor expert needed

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Does anyone know what these are?

They are in the Windows Temp file, can't open them and Google hasn't heard of them.

upload_2016-9-26_16-23-6.png

Sponsored Links
They are quite likely to be files created during the unpacking of an update or upgrade.

As they are "Windows Temporary Files" I would have expected your housekeeping program to clean them away. I don't use the Windows package for that, but it is probably in something that cleans up your disks. It would probably have been in "Systems Tools" in earlier versions of Windows.

See also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_(file_format)

Edit
Found it
In Windows 10 it is called "Disk Cleanup" and you have tickboxes for various things you can let it delete, after it has done the scan. One of them is Temporary Files"

I don't know if Windows does housekeeping routines automatically with standard settings. The ones you show all have todays date, so unless you have lots of old ones as well, it probably does.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I have just recently started 'acquiring' these at, as you can see, five a day, four of which are empty - deleted fifty before the screen shot.

I do not have disc clean up on automatic and also, since Windows 10 'spam' started (still on W7), only manually allow updates - none recently.

'mm

might Adobe Acrobat or some other app have updated itself? Firefox also does. I have most of mine set to update only with my permission.

I have an app that tells me what installations have recently occurred, I don't know if Windows can tell you. It might be visible in the "add and remove applications" dialogue in W7

p.s.

It might be your Antivirus or Security package. They get updated frequently.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I know that thanks although did read that todays should be left until tomorrow -
but as I say, these things have only just started and not having looked in the Temp folder for a while, it was full of them at five a day.
As Google did not 'know' them I thought it may be something undesirable.

I've just had a look and there is none today. ???

I did a disc cleanup but there wasn't much there and did run the scanner in the above link from Matty
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx
It took a couple of hours and found no infections - but who knows?

If anyone is interested,

Since the last post (five days), I have only had one unrelated item in the Temp folder.

Is that equally strange?

There was a big Windows update about a week ago, followed by some patches to remove some of the problems it caused. Might be something to do with that. See if you can look at Update History. I think on your version if you look at Add/Remove Programs it will show you dates of updates of programs and of Windows components.

I am on W10 and mine shows big update 21 Sept and smaller update 30th Sept.

I install updates manually. I haven't done any since the 20th.

There are some waiting to be done. I will look at them later.

I have installed the updates and now, not surprisingly, have some items in temp folder including five of the cab_ ones, four of which are 0 KB, one 130,335 KB.

Will see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Back