Concealed cables 30mA rule - Domestic only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is the reg stating that concealed cables should be on RCD for a domestic property only?

Sponsored Links
Take your copy of BS7671 (you do have one, I trust?)

Open it at the very first page of information. It is helpfully called Part 1.
Chapter 11 is titled SCOPE.

It tells you what sort of premises BS7671 applies to. Its quite helpful, really.

Unless of course the wiring doesn't need RCD protection i.e. it is in an earthed metal conduit, SWA, PRYO etc.

Sponsored Links
Take your copy of BS7671 (you do have one, I trust?)

Chapter 11 is titled SCOPE.

It tells you what sort of premises BS7671 applies to. Its quite helpful, really.
It's also helpful to look in the Index under 'Concealed cables...", and see if the relevant regulations are restricted in scope.

Chapter 11 is titled SCOPE. ... It tells you what sort of premises BS7671 applies to. Its quite helpful, really.
Not on its own. As BAS has implied, a good few of the regulations in BS7671 restrict their scope to something less than is indicated in Part I (e.g. to domestic installations only), so the generic statement of scope in Part I is really of pretty limited usefulness.

Kind Regards, John

Aren't we talking about concealed cables?
We are. However, my and BAS's point is that, despite what TTC said, the definition of 'scope' in chapter 1 of BS7671 is not particularly helpful, since it does not tell one whether (as for RCD protection for sockets, 'non-combustible' CUs etc.) specific regulations have restricted their scope to less than Chapter 1 of the regs would lead one to expect.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back