Concealed fittings to attach shelf to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

I have an off-cut of 20mm thick bamboo ply from another project which I'm considering using to make a book shelf.

My current idea is to cut the shelf itself and two vertical end pieces, and to dowel or biscuit-join them. I have a router cutter to make slots for biscuits; dowels would be harder for me to do accurately. So the first question is, how strong are biscuit joints? Are they good enough to hold a shelf full of books? Or must I use dowels, and if so is there a trick to align them without buying a fancy jig?

Then I'd like to hang it from the wall using concealed fittings behind the vertical end pieces. The best idea that I have so far is to fit a couple of these hanging brackets to each side:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...933575?vat=1&gclid=CJ6Pgfml_78CFWT4wgodDKkAqg

This would require routing a slot in the back of each vertical piece. Then fit four screws into the wall to hang it off.

Does that sound sensible? Will I have trouble aligning everything? Are there easier ways that are equally concealed?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Depends on the hight it is to be mounted you could use simple L bracket to top if it's mounted high where they will not be seen.
If you have a router, slot the uprights to take the shelf and glue.

I have finally finished this.

I did use the "keyhole" hanging plates that I linked to in the first post. I routered a pair of slots in the back of each shelf end and screwed the plates in place (using rather larger screws than they were supplied with). Then I got a set of four 10mm "center points"; these are cylindrical lumps of metal with points on the end, designed to be fitted temporarily into dowel holes in order to mark the right place to drill on the mating piece. These fitted into the large ends of the keyholes, so I could position the shelf against the wall, tweak it until it was level, and then bang it with a mallet. This left precise marks for the four wall screws. It all worked, and the shelf aligned with the wall screws perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back