Concrete cantilever porch canopy - Repair or Replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a concrete porch canopy that I presume is origanal fit to what is a 40's ex council house. All most all the houses have then in various states of repair but given the cracks and the amount of rebar hanging out the side something is going to need to be done sooner rather than later even though at present im not worried about it fell on it own accord.

Looks a bit like this, only unfinished concrete a million times less twee and new looking.
$(KGrHqJHJC4E914wku6yBPl6vKb1Pw~~60_35.JPG

Clearly built into the wall and the only 'lintel' as such over the door, none of the windows have lintels in the outer skin.

I cant be the only one in the same situation and trying to bodging them up a bit, so whats the chance of fixing it up with some epoxy or similar before painting it with something weatherproof for another 5 years?

Failing that I guess its a case of cutting it off as close as you can get with a stihl saw and fixing a simple wooden replacement in its place hung off the wall above on a pair of steel ties?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes. I think 'local authority' would be most appropriate, however im not a huge fan of plastic espically as most are of a style not overly suited to my perception of said house (ie, its a functional box) and the fact I just want to not get wet while finding my keys. Further more, at £250 im sure I could do something as good out of some second hand 3x2 and £15 of white paint.

However all of that also doesnt really solve the problem that I would then have to remove it. Even if cutting it off is the solution, I cant see you being able to just cut it and let if fall without risking taking out the door/frame/etc in the process!

Daniel

and the fact I just want to not get wet while finding my keys.
Daniel

Simple, don't go out when it is raining.

Any exposed rebar, clean rust of best as you can and treat with rust resistant solution Apply couple coats red lead over rebar if you have any, if not buy couple of pints instead, and waste money sensibly.
Buy 10kg rapid hardening cement and 25kg sharp sand. and smallest keg of bonding agent that you can get. Mix up small amount enough to do first patch, of cement and sand 3 to 1 mix splash of bonding agent in water. Paint bonding agent on to exposed broken concrete face and fill patch in. After 5 minutes or so you should be able to shape patch to any contour required. Mist patch down and hang piece of poly over it to keep it damp.. Work your way round all patches. Give it a couple of coats of snowcem or textured masonry paint.
Should last about five years until rust comes through and blows patches of again.
Treat it as an every 5 year project. Will stop you getting bored and give you something to look forward to.
Regards oldun

However all of that also doesnt really solve the problem that I would then have to remove it. Even if cutting it off is the solution, I cant see you being able to just cut it and let if fall without risking taking out the door/frame/etc in the process!

Put a wooden frame underneath it to hold it up while it's being cut, then pull it away from the door with a rope whilst standing well away. Like falling off a ladder.

Any exposed rebar, clean rust of best as you can and treat with rust resistant solution Apply couple coats red lead over rebar if you have any, if not buy couple of pints instead, and waste money sensibly.
Buy 10kg rapid hardening cement and 25kg sharp sand. and smallest keg of bonding agent that you can get. Mix up small amount enough to do first patch, of cement and sand 3 to 1 mix splash of bonding agent in water. Paint bonding agent on to exposed broken concrete face and fill patch in. After 5 minutes or so you should be able to shape patch to any contour required. Mist patch down and hang piece of poly over it to keep it damp.. Work your way round all patches. Give it a couple of coats of snowcem or textured masonry paint.
Should last about five years until rust comes through and blows patches of again.
Treat it as an every 5 year project. Will stop you getting bored and give you something to look forward to.
Regards oldun
Ok, so its not going to be a total waste of time trying to patch it?

I dont suppose the patches will really be a structural repair, but presuably a long as the rebar isnt overly coroded or compromised, and as far as I can see it isnt, it shouldnt be about to fall down on me or my lodger.

Else if it is, I can knock up some framing, cut it off (and maybe cut it up a bit) and nail a woodern replacment over the top.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back