concrete gravel boards with wooden fence posts?!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum and new to garden, diy but need some advice :)

I recently started renovating my garden after hating it for the last 4 years! Long story cut short, i have concrete posts, gravel boards and wooden fencing both sides. I removed the old ivy eaten wooden posts and panels from the rear and am in the process of reinstalling a new fence.

There is no room for concrete posts, so wooden spiked posts is my only option. However i do really like the look of the concrete gravel boards and appreciate their rot defying capabilities, and am wondering if i can use them with wooden post at all?

I thought i could use a load of the panel fixing clips down the lower part of the fence post and then slide the board in.....

am i being an idiot? :)

many thanks in advance
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Sorry if it's me but I'm a little confused what you want to do

Hi masona. I think the poster got it a little confused towards the end. Instead of using slotted concrete post with the gravelboards inserted within the groove, he wants to use timber posts instead and use C shaped fencing clips to hold the concrete gravel boards in place instead of using timber gravel boards.

Sorry if it wasn't clear in the original post, but Jayne has got it right :)

Is it doable?

Sponsored Links
Hi Ry

I am no builder but it seems that there is no reason why you can't do this as most of the torque will come from higher up the posts through wind blowing against the fence panels. A friend of mine actually made his own slotted timber posts using some 2inch by2 inch treated wood and then screwing some 4 inch by one inch planks onto two opposite side to make an H section. He even use a machine to smooth the corners over. Still going strong after nearly 10 years now.

Jx

There is no room for concrete posts,
In what way?
so wooden spiked posts is my only option.
They can be quite tricky to line up and the problem with met-posts is not popular if you do a search here.
However i do really like the look of the concrete gravel boards and appreciate their rot defying capabilities, and am wondering if i can use them with wooden post at all?
Can be done as explained by Jayne36, 4"x4" post will be stronger instead of 3"x3"
I thought i could use a load of the panel fixing clips down the lower part of the fence post and then slide the board in.....
It's up to you but looks neater with battens all the way down
am i being an idiot? :)
No, it's more fun being an idiot ;)

in my opinion (i'm a diy'er) it's most definitely 'doable', however, i'm not sure it would look that good. Probably wouldn't consider it for my garden.

in my opinion (i'm a diy'er) it's most definitely 'doable', however, i'm not sure it would look that good. Probably wouldn't consider it for my garden.
Hi imamartian, we meet again. My daddy was a funny man who used to put things into our garden which her thought would be a good idea. Once he found some old carpet tiles and put them around the flowerbeds as mulch LOLOL.

I think that the concrete gravel boards will look a lot better if they can be coloured the same as the posts. I wonder why there isn't enough room to put the concrete posts in there anyway ????

Jx

Hi imamartian, we meet again. My daddy was a funny man who used to put things into our garden which her thought would be a good idea. Once he found some old carpet tiles and put them around the flowerbeds as mulch LOLOL.

I think that the concrete gravel boards will look a lot better if they can be coloured the same as the posts. I wonder why there isn't enough room to put the concrete posts in there anyway ????

Jx

Hi Jayne, glad you decided to stay... i'd say your dad had the right idea.. a garden is to be enjoyed ;)

Thanks guys for your replies, maybe i'll just stick with wooden gravel boards :)

Theres not much room as it is at the rear of the garden and just in front of the neighbours at the backs fences. Plus there are sheds in the vicinity that may hamper digging for concrete posts.

I had thought about painting them, ive seen a post on here where someone had painted the concrete a dark brown and it looked nice.

I had thought about painting them, ive seen a post on here where someone had painted the concrete a dark brown and it looked nice.
I don't think it was Thermo :LOL:

Be nice to JohnD, he may send a piccy ;)

Quick John, I think Thermo is on a break :LOL:

You can buy metal channels that screw to the side of a timber post to hold gravel boards.
I have them on my fence, timber posts fixed to concrete spurs with conc gravel boards painted with brown garage floor paint. I got the clips from Selco for about a quid each.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back