Concrete-ing deck posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, is post-fix (rapid setting) concrete suitable for decking posts on a raised deck? Probably about a meter high at the highest point. I am planing on 200mm x 200mm holes about 600mm deep and probably 2 bags per hole.

Any advice on packing out (or not) with hard-core or gravel is much appreciated.

Also I have found conflicting info on how to use it. Some people put it in dry and sprinkle water on top, som put water in the hole first, som mix it, some don't. Again any help much appreciated.

And finally, if you can on this site, can you tell me which brands you found to be better or worse.

Thanks in advance/

Sponsored Links
ram it in dry then put water in. dont belive all the claims on how long it takes. dont bother with hardcore or gravel. Cheaper and just as easy to use normal dry mix conc you knock up yourself

Thanks Thermo,

Sorry to seem dumb, but can I buy ready mixed dry-mix or is this the same stuff as they sell calling it post-fix (or similar). If not how do I mix it and how long will it take, once in before I can start working with the post, i.e. fully gone-off. And how much water to put on the top and do I need to mix it in hole once watered.

Thanks again

dry mix is basically 1:6 cement and ballast. if you ram it in well around the post then you can carry on working. at the end of the day just pour on about a half a bucket of water.

the ready mixed stuff tends to have less ballast in it, so it doesnt ram in as solid.

either way whichever one you use, you dont need to mix anything once in teh hole, just ram them well in. the cement will draw the water down from and go off.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back