Concrete Lintel above front door has been damaged / cracked.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not have any photos to post of this yet, but they are forthcoming.

As part of a larger job, the porch on the front of my house has been removed. Hidden away inside its roof was a much smaller original concrete proch roof. This is also a Lintel above my double width (1.5m wide) front door.

For the proposed new porch to be fitted this needed to be 'chopped off'. Instead of using scafold and supports and carefully cutting it away, they've used hammers and chisels and hacked it off.

The result is that the Lintel is now damaged. Photos would be great, but this has only happened this morning and im stuck at work at the moment, so this description is all i can give for now:

The Lintel's face is now very rough, jagged, and there is a very clear crack accross its face. There is also an area where its broken away back into the house so much that one of the screws holding the door frame in place is now visible.
Running inside the concrete are steel bars that are now poking out the front - so the reinforcement does not support the crack.

I have no way of knowing if this crack goes all the way back into the Lintel or not. The company are sending a surveyor out this afternoon to check the work. Im meeting him but would like to have some knowledge of the problem to take with me.

I will monitor this thread closely. Please help with any advice you can!

Sponsored Links
If its hairline, and the lintel will be eventually covered (ie wont get wet) then it will be OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back