Concrete path & Shed foundation for wheelchair usage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in the progress of building a shed for my partner who is in a wheelchair. I will be looking to do most the work myself. I'm just looking for a bit of guidance to get me going, I'm at a point now where I need to start digging the soil out. It needs to be suitable for daily use, as as previously mentioned needs to be suitable and solid for a wheelchair and any phsyio equipment inside the shed.

The path is going to be approx 57ft x 3ft and the shed will be 18ft x 12ft (still to be decided). I was going to do a layer of about 3 bricks high on the foundation to bring the shed off the ground.

For the shed foundation, I was looking to do the following:

MOT Type 1 sub base, Layer of sand, Damp proof, Concrete (100mm)

Should the mix of concrete be ballast or just pure sand? And what's the pro's & con's

Would you recommend also doing insulation? Eventually there will be a wooden floor once completed. What about reinforcement?

For the path, what would you recommend and why? Should I do a layer of sub base again, how thick should I do the concrete?

Same question again here, Should the mix of concrete be ballast or just pure sand? Reinforcement?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to any responses

Sponsored Links
Your shed base and path should be 4" of hardcore with 4" concrete over (+ sand + DPM for the shed) - you might get away with less on the path depending on what your ground is like.

Concrete is a mix of different size aggregate + cement. Ballast will be OK but if supplied in bulk bags may not be well mixed (fines will settle down in the bag). Sand and cement isn't concrete, it's mortar and not suitable for path/shed.

For manual wheelchair use, I believe the maximum gradient should be 1 in 20. Makes it pretty difficult.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back