Concrete Pond Base Construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks ,

Next year , I`ll be constructing a larger pond .

I`ll be having a concrete base which I plan to do myself using a mixer . (As the rest of the garden is finished - I want to do as much as I can myself to keep the mess to a minimum ).

Rather than lay the whole slab in one go , I think it might be easier to lay the foundations for the walls first , then construct the walls , then lay the rest of the base up to the walls . I`ll probably then render the walls and corners , and finally paint or fibreglass .

The only issue I can think against this is , would the internal base start to shrink away from the walls and cause a leak ??

Can anyone advise me as to whether this would be an issue , or how to prevent it ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hmm .. I`m starting to think that might be the way to go .

I`ll probably be making unneccessary problems if I go with the original idea .

I`m still planning to lay it myself , though ! :) Just need to decide whether to use a strengthening mesh or fibres

Sponsored Links
How you construct it is up to you, personally I would do the slab first and build the walls after. Leave the whole structure for a while to settle and then fibreglass it, just painted it will leak and fibreglass can be repaired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back