Concrete Roof Tiles

ik1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am intending to use interlocking concrete tiles on my new roof probably the marley modern ones but my builder/roofer seems to think he doesn't need to nail/screw them as they interlock.

Can someone please give some advice so I can ensure that I get a good job done and not have to worry about tiles flying off in a storm or something. Do we need to screw every tile? every 2nd or 3rd tile? and what about the end/verge tiles?

I don't mind paying a little extra to him as long as he does a good job.

Regards

Sponsored Links
My moms house is tiled using old staffy blue tiles and there are no nail holes in the tiles so all are just hung off the nibs. Not one is mechanically fixed.

There are no missing tiles and the roof was re-batten/felted in 2001.

The roof is steeper than 45 degree pitch.

I have seen many roofs with non nailed tiles but i have yet to see them blow off.

We always fix at eaves and verges and at the ridge. Steep roofs do require alternate fixing.

To be absolutely sure you could get a fixing spec from Marley which (unless you have a pitch of 45 degrees or over) will likely say nail at all perimeters or if more generally local areas nailed (through the RH nailhole), local area are defined as 15% of the roof measured from all perimeters, something like 6 courses from horizontal and 5 courses from vertical perimeters.

TBH when we do re-furbs, unless the pitch is too great we nails every alternate course, never had one fail yet in over 30 years

Sponsored Links
So is he a builder or a roofer? I remember the time I let my dentist do my my wifes brain transplant... Do you see where I am going with this?
Listen to the advice from the actual "roofers" here please? Oh, and do not screw them, because when some poor soul comes to repair them he will have one hell of a job getting the broken ones off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back