Concrete slab as finished floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm doing some work to my barn - including a small kitchen extension. Current spec is 100mm hardcore, 50mm sand blinding, DPM, 85mm celotex, 100mm concrete slab, DPM, 75mm screed.

I've done a few concrete pads in my time and am very happy with the finish I get bull floating, there is nothing to be hidden in the screed so my question is, can I do away with the screed and just have the slab as my finished floor to tile over? Will obviously save me a lot in time and materials.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
No underfloor heating? Really? Not even to 'future proof'?

Even then you could put the pipes in the middle of the slab, and float. Or skim it over with self levelling.
I can confirm that tiling over a basic floated slab takes twice as long as over a well laid screed. Well it did me!

Any depth saved on the screed should be seen as an opportunity to increase the insulation :idea:

Your spec is slightly unusual. Floors are normally specified as insulation over slab - which requires a screed - or insulation under slab - which does not. Sometimes a screed is used to make up levels and produce a clean flat surface. But in that case it would normally be a thinner bonded screed - 30mm or something like that. The question is; why would anyone add a 75mm screed directly onto a concrete slab? It's unnecessary.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back