Concrete Slab Construction inc diagram - Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to extend an area of driveway by another 5 square metres.

Having now received council approval and found a local ‘man and digger’ to dig out, does this outline for slab construction look of sufficient design to support vehicles.

- I intend to purchase ready mix and barrow it in (Mixer would not get round).
- Bull float to level (Slightly uneven to drainage), trowel edge with brush centre.
- I have a large number of paving slabs spare. Would it be advisable to lay these on top of my gravel sub base or would it just be a waste?
- Mesh will be laid on a few bricks prior to pour.

[/img]

** Apologies just noticed an error. The membrane will be above the sub base.

Thanks in Advance :D

Sponsored Links
Here's how I lay drives. dig out the old ground to a depth of 250mm (10"). Lay a membrane, on top of which a 150mm bed of hardcore is put down & compacted. 50mm (2") is neither use nor ornament.
Then pour 100mm (4") of concrete with fibres mixed in. When then concrete has the fibre mixed in, there is no requirement for steel mesh. The concrete slab with the fibres in will be stable enough, plus, the membrane doesn't just act as a weed suppresant, it also adds further ground stability.
Doing it that way will work out cheaper for you too.
To keep the council happy, if your drive slopes quite a bit, put in a drainage channel across the width to allow water run off to soak away into the ground naturally, rather than running off into the main drains.
Councils are starting to get the hump because people are putting in hard standings where garden used to be. The extra surface water run off is too much hard work for old drains to cope with.
Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Excellent reply prism, really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Will carry out as mentioned and increase the sub base etc.

Excellent reply prism,

Yes I thought so too.
Many people would be wary of 100mm! But with the compaction top notch on that depth of hardcore then its ample.
Blinding dust on the surface of the hardcore is a good addition too (well compacted) as it will act as a slip membrane only different.

My own lane way laid 20 years ago which is 45m long and is 100mm depth and it receives heavy traffic from lorries, tractors, telehandlers, excavators etc every day.

Has never cracked or failed. Did spall slightly in a small area with the heavy frost a few years ago. Fibers would likely have prevented that though.

I wonder what expansion spans Prism would use for 100mm?
We would probably saw every 8m to 10m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back