condemning a boiler

I might be wrong ?? but I do not believe it is a legal requirement to leave warning notice's ?? it would be advisable & sensible but a legal requirement ?????

You may well be right. The GSIUR is a bit coy as it refers to legal requirements, but then says the following "In guidance, GSIUR recommends that any verbal notification of an unsafe gas installation should be backed up by written notification that the gas installation is unsafe and that continued use in domestic and commercial premises is an offence under GSIUR"

So the in writing bit is guidance only. I had assumed it mandatory as thats whats been drummed into me over the years to ALWAYS issue paperwork, but its not so.

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
The fact is if a job went pear shaped & one ended up before the beak & you did not have it in writing eg warning notice ect you would or could have a problem , photo's are also a good idea just to cover your ar** !

see you later :)

She was asked to come and repair the boiler. She came and repaired the boiler as requested. Then everything went wrong!

She did not bother to test the flue at first it seems. Then she advised VERBALLY that the boiler was condemned but never advised WHY.

If the boiler is unsafe she is required to turn it off BUT only after you have given your permission! Then she has to give you a warning notice and stick lables on the boiler saying it should not be used.

At first sight she probably has done what was required, she fixed the boiler, she then found it was unsafe and told you not to use it.

So my view based on the balance of probability is that she has done what she should have and in that case she should be paid ( something ).

However, the problem we have in assessing the situation is that the person in charge as a customer did not properly question her actions at the appropriate time which was when she was at the property or failing that when she first presented a bill. Furthermore he then had the boiler replaced without having a second opinion on the need to replace it.

Not an ideal situation but its too late to do anything further now apart from reporting her to Gas Safe but even that would not be very fruitful because the old boiler has been removed.

My conclusion is that the man house owner is not much bothered about the situation.

Tony

I see your support for fellow RGI Agile ok so these people are going to report her to Gassafe ,can you please explain to everyone what the hell are they going to do.

She has not done anything which is unsafe and contarary to Gas regs Plus you are hearing only one side of the story and as usaul getting on your high horse that all other installers are Numpties,the facts being you are just about average at boiler repair work and absolutely useless at installation

A person who claims to be heating engineer and plumber struggling to fit a kitchen sink my first year apprentice can do this

See i am slagging you off on an open forum at least you have a chance to defend yourself against these remarks unlike the installer and we are only getting one side of the story,you get rogue customers as well as rogue traders contarary to popular opinion and we have all had them

All advice is given gratis,there is no fixed price diagnostic cost and absolutely no advertising to the detriment of other RGI's

Sponsored Links
Becky,when looking for a TIMESERVED professional follow this advice:

Get 3 quotes from LOCAL businesses AND LOOK FOR:

1. Gas safe registration
2. A business address and landline number.
3. Look for CIPHE or SNIPEF registration and ensure min level three qualification i.e ADVANCED PLUMBER status, it will be on their grade card.

This is important as you will ensure that they have served a recognised apprenticeship and will ensure you do not get any of the 12 month trained gas idiots or 6 month college trained short course idiots.

You have employed a short course career change chancer who has no idea or experience and you have paid the price. Let that be lesson to you or any other consumer looking at this forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back