condensate pumps and flues over pavements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to install condensate pumps to condensing boilers, where access to a drain isnt feasible by gravity methods? How much water comes out of boiler condensate drains? Is it a small amount, like air con, or a more significant amount?

(Am I the only one that hates seeing condensate pipes wrapped around houses? Becoming increasingly common!)

Also, what are the regs regarding boiler flues discharging directly over pavements?

Sponsored Links
A "Little Giant" tank pump is fine for a steamer... Only drawback is that it is another machine to fail.... Gravity has never failed yet.

If the foot path is not yours, ie is a public footpath or is your neighbours then a flue projecting out over it is a no no...

OK, i was just wondering about the possibility of installing a boiler under the stairs in my house. The issue is that its only external wall faces the pavement - the house is on a corner. The flue would have to go out onto the pavement about 9ft above it, and the drain would have to be pumped.

Looks like its the loft then! I can take the drain straight down the bedroom wall below and then out into the soil stack.

i assume they use the same pump as is used for aircon?

maintain_air%20conditioning_condensate_pump.JPG

i've had 2 fail in the last few years causing damage to computer equipment, one soaked 35k worth or marconi kit, the other took out large nhs trust firewall, since then no new installs of aircon have been pumped, we also had a gravity one freeze up when it was -15 :LOL:

Sponsored Links
They do have a float switch to warn/turn off other equipment.

One wonders what air con is needed if its -15°C.

Boilers produce up to about 2 li/hour.

At 9 feet above a pavement most people would just install it. I am not aware of any specific legislation but it would be caught by "nuisence" !

Tony

If the foot path is not yours, ie is a public footpath or is your neighbours then a flue projecting out over it is a no no...

I've come across estates where the developer has it written into the property deeds that one property's flue can discharge over it's neighbours. If not written into the deeds then 2.5m according to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.

Over a public footpath I believe a no no especially if there's the chance of ice forming on the ground below causing somebody to slip (I've been warned to avoid the possibility but have never seen it). Is it possible to run a plume displacement kit to above the gutterline and discharge across the property's own roof away from the footpath?

Look what happened to that ODM incumbent!

However, its not possible to contract out of the laws of the country.

OK, you can write it into any legal agreements but the laws still apply to you.

Here is a picture of a Vaillant flue which discharges directly over a pavement in Leytonstone ( non essential info Billy? ). Since the picture was taken the terminal end has fallen off!

Look what happened to that ODM incumbent!

Here is a picture of a Vaillant flue which discharges directly over a pavement in Leytonstone ( non essential info Billy? ). Since the picture was taken the terminal end has fallen off!

Yes, and not before time. Don't you think it coincidental that the boiler of choice for the former governments WarmFront Scheme is the Ideal and that Ideal's factory is in the former ODPM constituency?

Near me there's a house with the flue from a condensing boiler left untrimmed so it sticks out so far over thier side path it almost intrudes onto the neighbours property itself! It's still amazes me what people do.

Hi Steve,

I have a similar problem regarding the installation of a condensate drain. My preferred option is to have the boiler in the centre of the house, under the stairs.

The installers have suggested that the condensate pump would push the liquid to a height of up to four metres, and it could then be piped to a wash basin drain (downstream from the U bend). perhaps this would suit your installation.

IIRC the condensate is a rather nasty liquid, so you wouldn't be very popular dumping up to two litres per hour in the street :(

Hi Steve,

IIRC the condensate is a rather nasty liquid, so you wouldn't be very popular dumping up to two litres per hour in the street :(

It's not a nasty liquid it has the same PH as lemon juice and it can be neutralised by installing a condensafe or similar to the condensate discharge pipe-work but then again I agree you can't just dump it onto the street although someone should have told that to the loads of installers who think that's a good solution :LOL:

Comparing the condensate to lemon juice (pucker up now!) doesn't stop it being able to (slowly) eat holes in various types of stone or damage paint. There's a reason it has to run inside plastic pipes and not metal ;) Not to mention it is quite possible for drops of rather hot acidic water to emerge from the flue.

Some boilers will push out a lot more than 2l/hour running full pelt, but in practice they are unlikely to run flat out for that length of time. Even 2l/hour implies fully condensing conditions and an operating power of around 20kW, something that will not be achieved by many installations for any length of time.

I know a lady who chose to have a new boiler installed by an unregistered Polish man four years ago.

The condensate is in 22 mm copper!

But the worst part is that the left hand 100mm is "blocked" by a pillar just 60mm in front.

Those who just install boilers never think about the need to maintain/repair them.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back