Condensate waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently moved into a new home and have a question about the boiler I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.

I have a icos he15 boiler in a kitchen I See the two copper pipes at the top near the flue which I assume are input and output and a copper pipe at bottom which I assume is the gas supply. What I can not see however is the white plastic condesate waste pipe which i thought would be at the bottom too. i am right in saying it must have one aren't I?

Sponsored Links
That is what I dint understand. if it is going to a drain why can't I see the actual waste pipe?

Sponsored Links
May go straight out the wall behind the boiler, in which case you wont see it.

That could be it. There is thin white pipe on outside wall in an l shape but does not go to a drain just onto the path. I was hoping this was just a disused pipe though as it is only 21.5mm, not lagged and does not go to a drain as it should if condesate waste pipe.

As far as I can see boiler was installed 2010 so you would have thought there would be problems with it freezing if this is the waste pipe by now?

It may well freeze if its cold enough, should either do to a drain or a soakaway, just letting it run onto the path is a complete bodge. Not unheard of though, sadly.

You say the boiler is in the kitchen?

Most kitchens include a sink and other plumbing, including a drain. How much effort was too much for the boiler installer?

BTW the condensate is slightly acidic, and over time the path (if concrete) will be eaten away.

It is an extended kitchen and is in a cupboard quite a distance from the sink on other side of the kitchen.

I'm not happy though, and will be calling the guy who installed it even though it was previous owners who arranged.

It is an extended kitchen and is in a cupboard quite a distance from the sink on other side of the kitchen.

I'm not happy though, and will be calling the guy who installed it even though it was previous owners who arranged.
good luck with that

Do you think he will blank me? I have a gas safe certificate with his details on it so presumably he would want to put it right rather than me contact the gas safe people?

If there's a drain nearby, just get some 1 1/2" waste pipe and slip it over the overflow pipe to the drain. Might still freeze but won't drip on the path.

Sadly GasSafe are unlikely to take any action
I see, so do you think my best bet is just to get someone in to look at it and see if they can do something?

It has not caused me any problems nor presumably the previous owners but Ithe obviously should be better than it currently is

a) It needs to be correctly terminated - either a suitable soakaway http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-condensate-soakaway-grey/94914 or connection to a grey/foul drain.

b) If it's running externally then the pipe size needs to be increased to reduce the possibility of freezing.

Personal view is the original installer should rectify but you don't have any contract with them or (any realistic) means of forcing them to rectify the poor installation

Cheers newboy and thanks for your advice. To be honest if it was not for forums like this and ppl like you who take the time out to answer I would not have even known their was a problem in the first place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back