condensation in dg unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,
does anyone know if its possible to re seal a dg unit i have a few that have foigged up and wondered if there's anyway other that buying a new unit
thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
guess it cant be done then, i have a vague memory of a company advertising this service but cant find anything about it anywhere

No it can't be done. there are dozens of people who will claim they can but hey they only offer a 3 month warranty so read what you will into that. Its been discussed/debated on here dozens of times there is no fix. Better to just get a new unit.

hi guys,
does anyone know if its possible to re seal a dg unit i have a few that have foigged up and wondered if there's anyway other that buying a new unit
thanks
Bill

I believe you can (carefully!) drill a small hole at the bottom or in the spacer, thus turning it into 2 single (less efficient) panes though I have never tried myself.

Or just get someone to replace it, or measure up and replace it yourself.

Sponsored Links
Replacement units is the only way to be sure. Easy enough if glazed from the inside but a little trickier if glazed from outside.

I believe you can (carefully!) drill a small hole at the bottom or in the spacer, thus turning it into 2 single (less efficient) panes though I have never tried myself.
I have, and it does work. You only need a single tiny pinhole near the bottom, it must vent to the outside not the inside. If you have a dremel or similar with a diamond tip, it will do it. Over time, expansion and contraction with temperature changes will puff the mist out.

I have never tried it with safety glass. As a last resort prior to getting a new one, its worth a try.

freddy says there is no fix, I say there is.

I have no facility for washing out the cavity, though.

I expect a practical person could buy the kit and go on a 2-day training course, maybe it will become a franchise over here.

I've got one that I did some years ago. No mist.

not any more, it is ventilated, with just a pin-hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back