CONDENSATION IN NEW EXTENSION LOFT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, i was in the attic of my new extension tonight and noticed there quite a lot of condensation on the roof felt. It's of the breathable variety but there are no vents to speak of as i thought they would not be needed.
The question is it normal to get higher levels of condensation just after plastering, rendering etc or should i install vents etc. The loft i currently only half insulated abd there is an airtight loft hatch installed.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
NEILYDONE said:
there are no vents to speak of as i thought they would not be needed.
It's important to have an airy loft to control the condensation, as the heat rises, the moisture got nowhere to go but onto your roofing felts, they are many ways of doing the ventilation and my opinion is use a ridge vent tile at the top and the soffit which allow circulation of air movement

Cheers for the reply, i was told that the breathable felt didn't neet vents but after reading the forums i'm starting to wonder.As or the plastering etc is it normal to get higher levels, there was quite a period wher the loft was open to the rest of the house which won't have helped. I didn't see any or very little before the plastering though.

Cheers

NEILYDONE said:
Cheers for the reply, i was told that the breathable felt didn't neet vents but after reading the forums i'm starting to wonder.
I have no idea how good the breathable felt are but you can't beat fresh air via the air vents.
As or the plastering etc is it normal to get higher levels, there was quite a period wher the loft was open to the rest of the house which won't have helped. I didn't see any or very little before the plastering though.
Most likely the damp from your plaster caused this, best to wait when the plaster has dried then have another look at the loft.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys mate, i'll give it a clean down with a cloth and keep an eye on it, as soon as i can i'll put some vents in as you suggest,fresh air can't be beaten.

Cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back