Condensation - what can I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My house is suffering with a huge amount of condensation on the double glazed windows which are installed. Before I go on, I do have a 600 ltr open top marine fish tank so, yes I know this is pretty much the source of a lot of my problem.

The existing double glazing is approx 10 years old (poss more - was installed before we purchased the house). There are no vents on the windows. Also, we have no air bricks on the house. So basically, the moisture in the house stays in the house and causes condensation.

What are my options:

1 - De-Humidifier - Concerned about running costs and will it sort all my issues; I dont think so.
2 - Install some vent bricks.
3 - New Double glazing.
4 - Leave heating on all night - not ideal.
5 - Other?

Any ideas appreciated before we start looking at new windows and air bricks?

And, no, getting rid of the fish tank is not an option, I have heard that many times before!

Cheers, Karl

Sponsored Links
Some windows don't have dedicated vents but the handles are designed to be locked into place with the window slightly ajar instead.

Some windows don't have dedicated vents but the handles are designed to be locked into place with the window slightly ajar instead.

Ours do allow this, but I was concerned about the heat loss... I guess its no worse that the vents?

Sponsored Links
insulated lid on the tank, extractor near the tank, generally more ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back