Condensed foam type ceiling cornice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone tried this new cornice material?

In this case it's called Duropolymer and is made by Arthouse and sold by Homebase.

The gun cement Arthouse sells for fixing is a water based stuff. Seems the same as so called water based No Nails and the likes.

The problem is, remarkably, it doesn't adhere well to the Duropolymer cornice. Even when keyed with rough abrasive the cement can be easily pealed off with a finger nail.

Okay, the cornice is light weight but you get a lot of movement up there with varying humidity and temperature and I can see the stuff pinging off one day.

Gripfill's a bit drastic. Probably melt the stuff and it skins over too quickly. Apart from reinforcing with nails/pins has anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Easiest way with light weight coving is to use Caulking, you shouldn't have a problem with this. I use it like that all the time with good results.

Easiest way with light weight coving is to use Caulking, you shouldn't have a problem with this. I use it like that all the time with good results.

Yes, thanks, but this is not - as I think you mean - Polystyrene coving which I agree can be fixed with water based caulk.

It's much harder and has a shiny plastic surface. Much larger than standard coving. It's to imitate the larger victorian plaster cornice.

We have just used a similar coving product made by Colours and sold by BandQ (Antioch style) :)

I bought a tub of the Diall Lightweight Coving Adhesive and Filler. It has terrible reviews on the website but I hadn't read these before I bought it. The reviews do not match with my experience.

It was our first time using coving so we watched a video by Artex on how to install coving and applied the adhesive liberally. It did squidge out the edges when pressed on the wall and ceiling but was easily scraped off and formed quite a good seal on the edges and joints.

We supported the coving with panel pins to ensure it didn't slip and the next morning we were able to seal with caulk around the edges which covered the holes made by panel pins.

I papered the ceiling at the weekend (with Wallrock Premium which is just lovely btw) the coving had been up a week and I had no fear of it moving and it provided a good firm edge for trimming against. We didn't score the coving or the walls prior to installation.

We primed the joints and areas we had used filler and have just painted the first coat and it's looking very good (imho) :) Very satisfied with it.

It is quite a dense material - and becomes heavy when covered with the adhesive so we felt it was a two person job but we used quite long lengths to minimise the joints.

Time will tell as to whether it stays up or moves about - but it seems like it's there to stay at the moment.

Sponsored Links
We have just used a similar coving product made by Colours and sold by BandQ (Antioch style) :)

Time will tell as to whether it stays up or moves about - but it seems like it's there to stay at the moment.

Yes... thanks. It's the last paragraph though. All water based products I've tested on this 'plastic' cornice can easely be picked off with a finger nail.

I've now doubt it would, being so light, stay up glued with flour and water...

I can also vouch for the Diall lightweight coving adhesive and filler. It is easy to remove excess once its dry, and its pretty strong and also does well for filling corners etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back