Condensing boilers Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am presently a boiler surveyor signing up old boilers for free exchange under the ECO scheme so need some definite info please.

Can anyone tell me when it became mandatory to fit only condensing boilers please.

At a house I visited today the owner swore blind that the existing boiler was only fitted 5 years ago but it was a non condenser so I stated it must be over 10 yrs old.

I need to know my stuff or I will lose face.
:oops:

Sponsored Links
2005, can't remember what month (think it was april) but you can still buy se boilers, i know of someone who had one fitted about june this year, his excuse, its cheaper to buy and i've no drain near.

Sponsored Links
Well, you could both be right, he may well have had a non condensing boiler fitted in contravention of the rules, maybe unknowingly by a cowboy or friendof a friend or whoever.

But as Dan says, in reality to get an exemption is pretty much impossible for a typical installation

Bloody ECO scam and PAS2030. Massive deception, warranties will be null & void because the people having these fitted can't afford to have them serviced. All backhanders to the politicians.

*spits at OP* :mrgreen:

From 1 April 2005, revised Approved Document L1 of the Building Regulations sets down revised guidance for the efficiency of hot water central heating gas and oil boilers installed in new and existing dwellings. From that date reasonable provision would be demonstrated by using condensing boilers with a SEDBUK1 efficiency in band A or B, unless there are exceptional circumstances that make this impractical or too costly. There are no revisions in April 2005 to the guidance for solid fuel boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back