Conduit or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm currently doing my front room and I need to sort out the tv aerial. I'm going to run it into the attic, boost it, then feed all the rooms in my house.

Question I've got is I'm happy that if it was just an aerial I could run it outside of my house, up the wall. but I'm wanting 4 x cat 6 ports in there too which also need to go up to the attic. What would be the best way to run these externally? Internally isn't an option. If conduit is the option could you all recommend which type? External surface of my house is pebble dashed and painted white.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Conduit is good because it's neater, protects the cable from UV and rain, and allows for cable to be replaced or added if required.

However, pebbledash poses a problem because you'd probably have to chisel it off to make a channel for the conduit then "make good".

If there's a convenient drainpipe you might consider dropping the cables behind or alongside it and securing with UV-resistant cable ties. You could even fit a false pipe and run cables inside it.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a drain pipe right next to the hole I'm going to drill. Genius idea. I was wondering what is coax and cat 6 cable like under ground. I could dig it in the earth out the front and route it the 1 meter or so to the drain pipe. I didn't know if the data cable or coax would degrade if I buried it.

Regards

It will degrade due to microbes etc. in the soil. Protect it with Alkathene conduit or equivalent.

Sponsored Links
I suppose I could just tack it across the bottom of the wall. Is normal data cable good for outdoor use? I've got about 70m of the stuff. I don't want to waste money on external data cable if this is ok.

I always recommend painting cable outdoors. If you use a thick, oily, outdoor paint, it should give good protection against Ultaviolet radiation from the sun and against rain. However, it won't protect against rodents or accidental damage from shovels, wives wielding secateurs, etc.

well could you believe it. Ive just drilled through my wall on my own and ive managed to come out millimetre perfect to the drain pipe im going to use. Could have easily gone through the pipe so I wouldn't recommend doing it so close next time!! Would you put the 4 data cables and the coax through conduit as it passes through the wall or will it be ok without?

Depends on the wall construction and other factors. Use your best judgement. You don't want water getting into the wall. That's the principal consideration.

as its no hardship I might as well stick some 25mm conduit through and run the wires through that. Ive drilled the hole on a slight angle anyway to hopefully stop water coming in. obviously the high point inside my house.

thanks for all your help. im sure ill have more questions as I go along.

Be sure to loop the cables downwards outside from the hole before running it upwards. Helps keep rain away from the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back