Confused with central heating in house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have had the same central heating in my house for years (it was here when I moved in). This has worked fine with no breakdowns at all so I am keen not to replace the boiler.

I want to try and get a thermostat to work with it though and this is where my confusion lies.

The set up is as below:

Potterton PrimaF combi boiler
Randall 102E programmable timer
Several radiators

The above all work fine and I can program the timer as I wish

Since moving in to the house however there has always been a thermostat in the hallway, this is a Honeywell T6060. My issue is I dont even know if this works. When turning the dial it clicks when turning off at around 15° and then clicks on at around 19°. However even when turned completely off (fully to the left) the heating still works normally. Under the cover there are 2 wires in the 2nd and 4th connection down (4 connections in total running top to bottom). The 1st and 3rd connection are empty. There is also an earth wire connected somewhere behind these connections.

My questions is firstly how can I tell if this is even wired back to my boiler?

Secondly if this is wired back to my boiler, can I simply replace it with a new thermostat and control the temperature in my house. It looks like a Honeywell CM907 may do the job from what I have read on various forums.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't be the first time I've seen it, my daughter had the same thing stat was not connected to the boiler, often a combi is fitted in place of another boiler and the installer either does not bother or frankly hasn't a clue how to do it!
No point in suggesting you fish about with a neon tester as the combi stat circuit might be low voltage.
All boilers need an annual service which is not a diy job, so call a Gas Safe engineer in to service it and ask his opinion he will soon be able to tell.;)

The Prima F is not a combi. It's a heat only boiler. Would you like to start again and describe your system with maybe a couple of pics? Do you have a cylinder etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back