Connecting 1.5mm 3-core SWA to an RCD plug.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it possible to terminate a 1.5mm 3-core SWA on a standard RCD plug or a standard plug (which is then plugged in to an adaptor) - this type of thing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/GREAVES-CO-...ef=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1319810767&sr=1-5?

At the gland end, the steel wires are secured against the nozzle by the collar and collar nut, but I'm not sure what to do with the steel sheathing at the plug end.

Cheers for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

What sort of 'RCD' terminal/arrangement would you suggest?

I'm adding a 2-gang socket to a summerhouse and need to run a power cable of some sort along a garden brick wall to an internal mains supply. I'd rather not just use standard cable, threaded down conduit, with a weather-sealed gland into the s'house and RCD at the other end, even if earthing isn't a problem - armoured would be better.

Fused connection unit.
But you do need to earth the armour, so bring into a metal adaptable box first

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Could you tell me what to look for, to earth the armour and for the fused connection unit? This isn't beyond me, but it's the first time I've fitted an SWA.

Cheers.

Do you intend applying for Building Regulations approval?

And what will you do about testing?

Where do I take the earth cable from the banjo clip/piranha locknut?

Does this only need to be at the RCD end, or do I need a banjo clip/piranha locknut and extra earthing at the s'house end too?

I'll apply for Building regs approval when complete and make any changes necessary. Financial constraints mean I have to do this myself.

Where do I take the earth cable from the banjo clip/piranha locknut?
:?:
Does this only need to be at the RCD end, or do I need a banjo clip/piranha locknut and extra earthing at the s'house end too?
:?:
I'll apply for Building regs approval when complete and make any changes necessary
What will you say when they ask you "when are you going to start the work?".
Financial constraints mean I have to do this myself.
It would probably be cheaper, and healthier, to not do it at all.

Sorry, but you have already proved you should not do this.

whathesaidsmiley.gif

What will you say when they ask you "when are you going to start the work?".
And what will you say when they ask you "Describe the way you intend to ensure that the work complies with P1"?

Can anyone tell me where I take the earth cable from the banjo clip/piranha locknut? To the earth terminal on the RCD plug?

I'll get to the points raised above, in a minute.

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me where I take the earth cable from the banjo clip/piranha locknut? To the earth terminal on the RCD plug?
If you don't even know that there is absolutely no point you trying to get to the other points.

Get an electrician instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back