Connecting a LED security light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced a halogen security light with a LED version about a year ago. I mirrored the wiring and all went well until a few weeks ago when it kept tripping the fuse board in my garage. I checked it out for water ,tightening the connections while I had it open. The earth from the 3 core input seems to have no where to go and is taped off. Could this be the problem? I could upload a picture if I knew how!

Sponsored Links
I replaced a halogen security light with a LED version about a year ago. I mirrored the wiring and all went well until a few weeks ago when it kept tripping the fuse board in my garage. I checked it out for water ,tightening the connections while I had it open.
You seem to have excluded most causes other than a faulty light fitting. Is it an RCD (with a test button) that is tripping?
The earth from the 3 core input seems to have no where to go and is taped off. Could this be the problem?
No. The earth wire "having nowhere to go" is normal for such light fittings. The only thing to check is that this 'taped up' earth wire is not able to touch anything else; it would be better to put it into a little bit of connector block, to make it 'safe'.

Kind Regards, John

It is a Memshield RCD and has a test button. The main switch will not longer engage if the switch for the security light is in the on position. I will try a better solution on the loose earth wire. Thanks for your help. If this does not help I guess it is a new light?

Have you investigated the switch and cables within the enclosure of it.
Puzzled why no earth terminal on the fitting, all LED security lighting I have fitted have a terminal for the CPCs.

Sponsored Links
Puzzled why no earth terminal on the fitting, all LED security lighting I have fitted have a terminal for the CPCs.
As with many Class II items, I've certainly come across a good few which don't have any terminal for a CPC (and often hardly enough space for a bit of connector block!). Experiences clearly vary.

Kind Regards, John

I have taken the pic on my phone and I am posting via my phone using the App. I do not seem to be able to drag from within the photos folder.

upload_2016-11-13_19-23-15.png

Well I have managed to get the picture up at last. This will help I hope?

As with many Class II items, I've certainly come across a good few which don't have any terminal for a CPC (and often hardly enough space for a bit of connector block!). Experiences clearly vary.
All the external LED security lights I have fitted, all have a CPC terminal, never ever seen a class II fitting of this type, but never had specify one.

Could someone have a look at the picture I posted and comment please?
It would be wise to place the CPC in a terminal block, rather than have it taped up.
I assume the switch allows you to either have the sensor on or the light on when desired.
If so wiring looks fine, I assume no evidence of water ingress?
I would be taking a look at the seals around the enclosure of terminals, sensor and lamp.
Then the switch needs to be looked at.

All the external LED security lights I have fitted, all have a CPC terminal, never ever seen a class II fitting of this type...
Interesting. What happens with the all-plastic ones, then? If there's no metal to earth, they can't be Class I. If they're not Class I and they're not Class II, then what are they? Illegal?

Kind Regards, John

Interesting. What happens with the all-plastic ones, then? If there's no metal to earth, they can't be Class I. If they're not Class I and they're not Class II, then what are they? Illegal?
TBH never fitted a plastic LED external light, always been metal. Luckily I have always had a cpc present or been in a position fit one.
My comments are nothing to do with class I versus class II or the legality of fittings. I have simple not come across an LED external light that does not have an earth terminal!!!
I am not suggesting they do not exist, never needed to spec one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back