Connecting a macerator to existing pipework.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, this is my first posting.

I have a downstairs toilet on the front wall of my house, that connects directly from the pan into the soil pipe in the floor.
The downstairs pan coupler is a space-saving type and fits directly onto the pan and then directly into the floor. There isn't any external soil pipe.
I want to install a new toilet, with macerator, on the first floor, almost directly above the existing one. There isn't any room to fit a 4" soil pipe under the floor-boarding and I really don't want soil pipework on the front of my house to connect to the sewer.
Can I install a 90 degree pan coupler, that has a waste connection, to the existing toilet pan and connect the macerator pipework to that? Or use a normal 90 degree pan coupler and attach a strap and boss on the vertical part.
The length of run from macerator to existing pipework would be 1.5 metres horizontal then 2.5 metres vertical.
Would the pressure from the macerator get forced into the existing toilet and up into the room, using either couplers? Or are macerators not that strong and the slurry would simply drain away?
Any help or hints would be most welcome. Ken

Sponsored Links
You can probably do what you are suggesting, but installing a macerator is a very bad idea and you will regret it later.

If the new toilet is in the room above the existing one, there must be a way to connect it directly, with no macerator. Pipes can be installed internally, no need for them to be outside.

Hi Flameport,
Thanks for your reply.
It's a bit tight between the floorboards and the ceiling to get a 4" pipe installed, with hardly any fall.
If I did manage to get the pipework in, is there a "T" fitting that can be used to connect the soil pipe from upstairs to the existing toilet and the sewer pipe in the floor?
If so, then it might be worth the struggle.
Ken

A 110mm soil pipe junction will allow you to connect as required. A 1.5m horizontal run, provided you can get a minimum 15mm of fall should be ok, I really wouldn't entertain the macerator in that situation.

If you must have a macerator, then connection will need to be via a built in boss on the pan connection, you wont be able to fir a boss to an existing pan connector, the diameter is usually less than the 110mm a strap boss is designed to fit.

Sponsored Links
The purposed horizontal before the vertical will knock years off the life expectancy of the macerator.

Quick question then Just Pumps if I may. The Grundfos unit I fitted last November had the discharge outlet of the opposite side to the unit it replaced, so I had to extend the pipework over the top of the unit to reach the outlet. (Grundfos actually show a kit available for this purpose, but as the outlet pipework was 22mm copper I just extended that, and put a machine bend in to suit). Will that have an adverse effect on the life of the unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back