connecting a single electric oven

hub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a gas hob with an electric oven.
I have a connection from a previous electric oven already in place which is a 32amp double pole with additional socket.
The rating on the cooker is 2380w,is there anyway i can use the existing supply or will i need to run another supply to accommodate this

Sponsored Links
you can change what you have to either a fcu, or socket, then plug in your oven

Thanks breezer

so put a 13 amp fused spur before the existing unit

sorry i mean to say plug the oven cable into a 13 amp fuse spur which is being fed from socket on the existing 32 amp supply

Sponsored Links
sounds messy to me. a better solution may be to fit a 20A MCB to the circuit instead. (If this is possible).
Although connecting the cooker to the connection unit as it stands is not ideal, it wouldn’t be a huge issue.

personally i would replace the cooker connection unit with a socket and plug the cooker in.

it is better not to wire in an appliance that comes with a plug because the mantinance technicians are often not allowed to work on equipment that is wired in (basically they are not qualified to work on fixed wiring and they are not allowed to work on an appliance without doing some testing first and/or disconnecting it from the mains)

if there is a socket on the cooker control unit i would keep the breaker as it is if not i would downrate to a 16A

cooker control unit
K5061.JPG

cooker connection unit
K5045.JPG

Thanks all for your prompt reply

Ive decided to run the existing supply to a fused 13 amp pole switch to a double socket,

thanks all again

if you are useing a socket there is no need for a FCU as sockets are designed to be fitted on 32A cuircuits

i was a little concerned about the 32amp supply thou, if the cooker only requires 13amps is it best to have a fuse that size to be on the safe side

I am doing the same thing with the oven.
It is supplied with a 13Amp fused plug
I have a 30Amp independant cable ending at a cooker connection unit via the cooker control unit.
I agree change the cooker connection unit for a plug socket, and just plug it in.

I am doing the same thing with the oven.
It is supplied with a 13Amp fused plug
I have a 30Amp independant cable ending at a cooker connection unit via the cooker control unit.
I agree change the cooker connection unit for a plug socket, and just plug it in.
You've got your answer then. So why go resurrecting a post thats FOUR YEARS out of date? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back