Connecting an MDPE pipe to a lead main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to replace the section of lead main entering the house where my builders are building a porch and digging out foundations.

Is there a reliable trouble free coupler that will do this?

Sponsored Links
Plasson connector with a lead adapter, phimac with lead adapter, lead loc to 25mm MDPE coupler, JG underground with adapter..... There's a swathe of other makes available too. You need to know the right size of lead pipe. Or replace the whole run back to the boundary and tie in with your supplier.

When you're decided on the coupler you're going to use, make sure the lead is super clean and make it as round as possible using a file/dremel/80grit paper or the like.

Sponsored Links
Appreciate the tip Mad, I wouldn't have thought to do that..........thanks

Do you have a water meter? Plastic stopcock cover? If yes, might be easier to connect to coupler that was connected to lead pipe downstream. Get rid of lead pipe altogether.

Daniel.

When you're decided on the coupler you're going to use, make sure the lead is super clean and make it as round as possible using a file/dremel/80grit paper or the like.
Good luck with that....shave hook being the correct tool to use....80 grit???..file??..how many lead locs you fitted Madrab??
Wiping a joint then obviously clean the lead ...no reason to "super clean" when fitting a lead loc......never felt the urge to wire wool the copper when using comp fitting...:ROFLMAO:

I've actually done my fair share thanks, being a plumber in glasgow, lead in tenements can be a regular found thing. Just because I have a different approach and use different tools to get to the same result doesn't make the repair any less sound thanks. Jeesh!

Crack on Madrab.....how long does it take you to scurf off lead seam?

Takes me 5 minutes with a dremel and file to ready a piece of lead ready for connecting. Especially when rubber seals are concerned, I prefer it round and clean. I don't understand why a different approach to things, that are loads of years old, are looked down upon, doesn't make sense to me. I've used files, 80 grit, a stanley and the like many times to prep and round a piece of lead that's been ovalled & chewed on it's surface and not able to get back to clean area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back