Connecting flexible pan waste connector to old cast iron soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I just moved into a 1960's house and am replacing the toilet that looks like it has been there since day one! However I am having some trouble connecting the flexible pan waste connector to the old cast iron soil pipe. The problem I have is I cant get the soil pipe end to fit into the cast iron pipe, the fit is very very tight and when I try to force it in it does not go further than a few cm's into the pipe and then pops out when I push the toilet back into position. I even tried adding some grease (which was in a small packet with the connector) to the rubber ribs on the connector but this made no difference. Am I missing something or is it just a case of more force being required to get the connector into the pipe. PS I have done this several times in newer houses with plastic soil pipes and have had no issues at all.

Sponsored Links
Have you got the right size of pan connector? Cast iron won't be the same internal diameter as standard 110mm plastic, it's usually about 4" (100mm) with and ID of 3.5" (90mm). You could probably take the sealing fins off and then seal the plain end into the pipe with a wetgrab adhesive but that's really just a fudge.

Hi Rob, Thanks for your advise. I have attached an image of the connector showing dimensions withou the fins the connector has a diameter of 84mm so the fins probably add about 10mm on. If I force it in could I end up damaging the connector? I haven't been able to find a flexible connector with a smaller diameter. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• Flexible-Pan-Connector-n-t1.jpg
    Flexible-Pan-Connector-n-t1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 905
Sponsored Links
It's hard to damage the connector and it can take a bit of twisting and effort sometimes but then the fins get pushed back and up and it doesn't seal correctly. That being said adding the fins with that connector the actual working diameter with the fins squashed tight would be, as you suggest, 95+mm which is a standard sized connector.

The one you want is a 3.5" outlet (90mm) - http://mcalpineplumbing.com/wc-conn...ctors/wc-f26sc-straight-flexible-wc-connector

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back