Connecting old lead mains to new 25mm blue pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cut into my mains water pipe yesterday, to connect a new pipe with a new stopcock position.

The existing main is 20mm OD lead pipe. The walls of it are about 5mm so the bore is tiny and cant fit an insert in it.

I bought a connector that i was told would join them, suitable for pipe sizes from 20-27mm but i cant get it to seal. I did it up as tight as i physically could and it gushed outog the lead side when i turned the mains back on.

Any ideas? I was going to try flaring out the end of the lead to be able to push in an insert.

Sponsored Links
Thanks
I dont think so.
Screw cap pushing on grab ring pushing on the large plastic washer which pushed on the large rubber bung. I dont think the bung is shrinking down enough. It is for 20-27mm pipes apparently but tough so i cant believe its shrinking enough. I dont reckon it is a pitted or mishapen pipe just by the quantity of water coming out.

Tried and alternative connector today but that one is too samll to even fit over the pipe.
Can anyone help?

You can always scrape a little of the side of the lead pipe to make a little smaller. Lead is a soft material.

Sponsored Links
What is the brand of connector you used and where did you buy it?

I'm trying to recall the make I use... Basically there is a doughnut style rubber washer which is squashed onto the pipe. There is also a full circle of gripper which holds the pipe. Some only have a half crescent of gripper which I dont like.

Plasson do a fitting for 20mm lead pipe to poly.
lead001sh8.jpg

Buy the philmac universal coupler.

You don't need an insert on the lead. :cool:

You may find there is a raised ridge along the outside of the lead pipe. This will have to be scraped down to the level of the surrounding pipe to get a good seal in the fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back