Connecting Oven and Hob with one cable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Its several years since a re-wire and i'm finaly ready to put the oven and hob in. The electrician left a length of cooker cable behind the cabinet for me to connect the loose end to a cooker (the other end behind the tiles connected to the switch) the thing is theres only one oven cable. Is there a way of fixing two appliances to one cable or has he assumed i'd have a gas hob or a combined oven/hob. Thanks

Sponsored Links
has he assumed i'd have a gas hob or a combined oven/hob. Thanks
We don't know.

But it would be good to know what size cable he installed, and what the rating of the breaker is....

The standard supply to a cooker is 32A and as standard it will have a 32A MCB and a cable which can take 32A with a double cooker connection unit the worse case is the trip could open do to overload, however that all OK with standard 32A supply, but once you start installing larger MCB's or cable than the standard 32A you are in a different ball game. The question arises with an oven designed for a standard 32A supply if fed from a non standard 45A supply if a fault happens will it open the protection device before any fire risk?

Sponsored Links
I'm getting a feeling of déjà vu - we can all assume, or say what is likely, but ATEOTD the only sensible way to proceed is with certain knowledge of the facts...

Indeed
@hoq
When you had your rewire, you will have been given a Certificate of Installation. That will tell you, and us, what the MCB and cables sizes are used for this circuit. Cannot help further without this information!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back