Connecting shower pump to Basin mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have a question whether I can connect my shower pump to the basin mixer tap in the bathroom. I have already connected the pump to the shower, and was wondering whether I can tee off to also supply to the basin.
The pump I'm using is a Grundfos Amazon 2.0 Bar Twin Impellar Brass Pump (Positive Head).

I am unsure whether connection to the taps would result in premature wear/damage due to more intermittent use.
Any guidance appreciated.

regards

Sponsored Links
The pump is specifically designed for showers. If you connect to mixer taps it is a possibility that only a single hot or cold tap could be in use. Running the pump with a closed end will result in the impeller imparting kinetic energy into the water. With the heat build up (and subsequent water expansion and pressure increase) it may be possible for a seal to fail. Some pumps are designe to operated with taps..eg Salamander RHP series. They have a bypass to allow circulation around the impeller with a closed end.

Might be worth talking to Watermill (Grundfoss) for their opinion.

Hi Gasguru, thanks for your reply. I just checked on the grundfos website, on there there is a shower selection guide, and my pump's the STP-2.0 version with twin impellers. It mentions on there that its suitable for up to two bathroom suites, i.e Basin/bath taps/ shower mixer tap. Heres the link to the showerpump selector..

http://www.grundfos.co.uk/web/homeU...56c8600449e81/$FILE/Grundfos Shower Pumps.pdf

So I believe it will be fine, as I'm only using the pump for one bathroom.

Just to understand what you've explained, when you say running a pump with closed end, can you elaborate on that please?
Thanks

Regards

Ap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back