Connecting to old steel pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am proposing to change my bathroom radiator (installed 1970) for a towel rail, which will be in 15mm. Examination under the floor shows the flow end being piped with 1/2 inch copper; I anticipate no problem connecting here. The return end is piped in 1/2 inch BSP pipe (OD 21mm), with a female BSP connector on the end which reduces to 1/2 inch copper. It will not be easy to connect to the 1/2 inch copper as it immediately goes into a double bend (poorly done) and up above floorlevel.

Ideally, I would like to cut the 1/2 inch BSP pipe (and shorten it as the towel rail is narrower than the radiator) and fit a compression fitting round it which allows reduction to 15mm copper. However, I have failed to identify such a fitting, so first question is are they available? Alternatively, can one use a 22mm brass fitting?

Suggestions already made from a plumber is to cut the 1/2 inch BSP pipe and rethread, so that a new BSP fitting can be used to reduce to 15mm. I would have to hire the tools and access under the floor is poor.

Or try to remove the existing BSP fitting and replace it. This would involve a rather circuitous route for the 15mm copper but it would be possible. However, what are the chances of removing the fitting after nealy 40 years?

Any suggestions welcome.

Allan

Sponsored Links
fit a compression fitting round it which allows reduction to 15mm copper. However, I have failed to identify such a fitting, so first question is are they available?
Yes but I can't remember the name. PipeCenter do them

Alternatively, can one use a 22mm brass fitting?
Did it once with a 3/4 olive which is a bit tighter. I tinned the steel (Baker's fluid to clean it) with solder to give the olive something to bite into, but it probably wasn't necessary.
Might also work with a "Lead-Line" connector. (Not a Lead-Loc)

Old threaded connections usually come undone easily enough if you can heat them up first. Probably the easiest to do - just go back to the previous threaded connection and remove the steel.

Thanks Chris and Dan

Not sure I fancy Primofit either. I have called at my local PipeCenter and they talked about a fitting from Viking Johnson but were unable to supply it. I have failed to identify what they were suggesting on the Viking Johnson website but may try calling them on Monday. Otherwise, a 22mm solution sounds feasible.

Is there a corrosion issue though?

Encouraging that old BSP fittings do come apart, that may be my Plan B.

Allan

Sponsored Links
Removing iron pipe back to first fitting and using male iron to copper, be it 3/4 or 1/2" should be your plan A.

The time you have spent posting and researching you could of had the job done and been sat at the card table down the local :LOL: ;)

As I recall Johnson couplings utilise a rubber/nitrile ring and they are not suitable for hot water.

As has been said, undo the steel pipe and replace with copper.

Just to complete this thread started on 18th Aug, I have finally installed my towel rail. After failing to dismantle the existing steel piping, I cut the 1/2 inch BSP pipe and then followed the method suggested by ChrisR using a 22mm compression joint. No leaks yet.

Allan

im not sure if they are called primofit but there is a fitting that converts stel to copper, iv used it in quite a few places, and it works a treat. they cost about 10.50 , ill find out the name for you tomorrow as my cousin sells them in his plumbers merchants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back