Connecting to water mains

Those transition couplings are excellent piece of kit and will.get you out many a pickle ,if you don't know how to thread pipe .

Sponsored Links
Yes I'm hoping to avoid threading due to the time/cost impact - I'd rather learn that skill on something less critical!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Current plan is to source one of these by next day delivery and then give it a whirl one evening this week:
https://www.colglo.co.uk/product.php?product=POLYG1900

I already have a load of 32mm MDPE kicking about so that's why I'm going for 32mm to save buying another reel

Right I thought I'd post the results for anyone attempting the same job.

I ended up getting the Plasson Plass4 universal coupling because a local plumbers merchant had them. They didn't have the elbow version so I had to go for a straight connection.

Firstly I cleaned up the pipe with a wire brush on the drill. The pipe was covered in big lumps of rust but they wore down eventually as the fitting needs a smooth surface.

2015-09-03 09.45.17.jpg

I cut the pipe with a little angle grinder with a cheap metal cutting disc from screwfix. Went through like a hot knife through butter!

2015-09-03 11.23.05.jpg

Finally the Plass4 coupler and elbow went on without a hitch

2015-09-03 12.08.48.jpg

Yes I know the MDPE should be in a sheath through the wall but this is only a temporary supply whilst the builders dig around our property.

Thanks to all those who helped me earlier in the thread.

Sponsored Links
I was interested in the Plasson coupling. In the old days, steel waterpipes had to use either threaded couplings, or those with belled-out ends, to prevent the coupling being forced off the end by water pressure (or freezing).

Good to see you are using 32mm poly, if you redo the whole run in that I am sure you will see a good increase in flow.

Yes 32mm seems to be the way to go. I am hoping to replace our boiler with an unvented mains pressure one soon, so was keen to get the maximum flow rate for the showers.

The fitting is surprisingly solid. It has 3 metal teeth inside which sink into the outer surface of the pipe when you tighten the nut. I pulled hard on it before turning the water back on and it didn't budge, and that was before I found a wrench to tighten it up further.

You should always pull hard to help the teeth dig into the pipe.

As well as making sure it does not pull off!

Tony

I was interested in the Plasson coupling. In the old days, steel waterpipes had to use either threaded couplings, or those with belled-out ends, increase in flow.UOTE]
Bell End? not on iron but soft copper. I'll let the others make the bell end jokes:sneaky:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back