Connecting up fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've moved into a new build house recently, and the builders have installed cabling ready for an outdoor socket / feed to the garage, by installing a fused spur and running a length of cable through the wall.

The cable outside the wall has just been left coiled up.

I had assumed that that had connected the cables internally, but just removed the fuse until something was connected outside. However, I looked last night and the fuse is in place.

I have tested the live feed, and it appears live (nothing else).

Please can someone explain how this is isolated (if at all) as I'm a bit concerned by it?

Thanks

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If the fuse is in, then it's not isolated at all. The fuse may have blown, in which case the outside cable will fortunately not be live. However just removing a fuse is not a suitable means of isolation, as someone could replace it at any time.

The cable outside should have been properly terminated and not left coiled up. Or not connected inside. Or preferably both.

That black tape on the blue wire shouldn't be there either. Suggests it has been damaged and the damage covered up.

Thanks - glad I checked!

This is what it looks like outside....

image.jpeg

I've taken the fuse out for now to be safe, and will test it (the fuse) when I get chance later.

I'll also check under the black tape - now you mention it I wouldn't be surprised if there's damage. You can see a scuff in the other blue white which is because the way it's bent it scuffs on the top of the back box on the way in.

Once I'm ready to put the fuse back - what's the best way to test the cable outside is ok before putting a socket or anything on it?

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's part of a new-build development, ask what your neighbours have - did they just forget to finish yours? You could ask the developer to come back and fit the expected outside socket.

Who leaves an unprotected cable end out in the rain for the water to seep up the inside of the cable?

Assuming it's part of a new-build development, ask what your neighbours have - did they just forget to finish yours? You could ask the developer to come back and fit the expected outside socket.

The outside socket / power to garage was an optional extra that we didn't spec, and so all the houses are different. From what I can gather, the electricians started installing this then realised they weren't meant to be so stopped. The site manager described it to me when we moved in as "the ore wiring is done, just needs completing and connecting up"

Ask the site manager why he allowed you to take possession of a house with an unfinished and possibly dangerous electrical installation.

I'd love to, but ours was one of the last houses on the development and the site management are long gone....

All right, ask the developer why their site manager allowed you to take possession of a house with an unfinished and possibly dangerous electrical installation.

Ring up head office and ask why they left a dangerous installation ?
Do they not do any inspection before signing off the electrics ? I'm guessing someone has falsely signed a certificate saying the installation was done to BS7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back