Conservation area planning for windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have been asked to replace some windows for some customers/friends in a flat that they rent out and they are wondering if they should bother with asking planning.

Its a flat in a very large terraced building right on the edge of a conservation area (literally the line on the map is drawn around the back of the buildings but dosent include the gardens).

Its at the rear of the property (not visible from any roads) and every single other window (on the back) of this building and the 2 joining buildings are all PVC. There are about 50 PVC windows on the back of the 3 buildings all except for my customers 4 windows.

Should they bother getting permission? And whats the worst case scenario if they don't?

Sponsored Links
Thinking about it, given that it is a flat, you really should submit an application. I suspect it will be approved - given the precedent, but you should follow the tedious procedure all the same. have you read the other threads on this topic?

Ive been reading and posting on this forum for years but TBH I cant say Ive seen too many posts about windows in the planning section lately. I will have a scroll through when I get a chance.

If it was just a normal customer I would tell them to speak to planning but they are friends (I don't know if that makes things more or less awkward).

I would assume that worst case scenario an eagle eyed person who works in planning lives in the houses behind and notices. Meaning they would have to go for retrospective permission (presuming they cant possibly say no considering all the other windows).

It just seems alot of work and £200 or so down the drain for what should in theory should be a letter that says yes that's fine go ahead.

You'll need to check if there is an 'Article 4' directive placed on the property, as being in a conservation area does not automatically mean that PP is required for this type of work.

As this is a flat there is no permitted development for window replacement. However, if they are changed for similar units, then it won't need PP. But you need to check for that Article 4 directive.

Generally, the council won't be bothered with you needing permission for windows not visible by the public unless the property is of special interest.

BTW, they may not be any fee for this type of application. And it will avoid issues with sales or leasing

Sponsored Links
Thats very interesting Woody, I will inquire a bit further. Thank you!

If they're replacing timber windows with UPVC, and it's a flat, then they will need planning permission.

If they install without consent, it's a risk as there is a chance that PP will not be granted in which case they may end uphaving to rip the new windows out to reinstate timber.

It might be(and probably is) a small risk, but if it was me I would apply for permission, for the peace of mind and in case it comes up in the future when they want to sell the flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back