Conservatory Foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm digging the foundations for a conservatory; 600mm wide and I was intending to go down to 750mm below ground level. However, I am still digging out moist clay with traces of chalk. I've tried to get BC involved but they're not interested.

What do I do? I am trying to understand the building regs, minimum of 750mm in clay soil and 650mm wide? Can anybody confirm or had experience of this?

Sponsored Links
If you are on a clay base you need to be about 900mm deep to be absolutely safe from drying shrinkage and frost. In sheltered positions less may be sufficient - 750mm or even 600mm. But anything less than 900mm is a risk so it's you choice. Nobody can tell you for sure one way or the other. Width of foundation is determined by load. Standard width is 600mm but a conservatory is a very small load so 600mm would be way over the top in most cases. If the ground is good a 400mm wide foundation would probably be sufficient.

To be fair... The weight of your founds will be 5 times the weight of your conservatory, in all likelihood :eek:

You'll need a foundation for your foundation.

Unless the conservatory is massive I probably wouldn't worry about it too much, it's basically a glorified shed, I'm sure you'll be fine at 750x600...

Sponsored Links
The conservatory is approximately 22sqm and has 2 facets; one facet joins to the house and the other, at a lower level, to the garage. The house is 14 years old and on a fairly large estate.
Sorry for going quiet on this, I live in Salisbury and on Friday we had heavy rain storms pass through that have collapsed parts of the trenches; so I have been looking out the window and crying at the devastation. Oh well, it’s drying out now.
This obviously means I need to shore up the sides, was going to use 11mm OSB2 and 100mm*50mm cross braces, and back fill. I was going to leave the boards in when I pour and remove the braces as the pour gets to that level. (noseall posted something a few years ago about this I think) Is 11mm going to do the job? Do I want this to sit slightly above the finished pour level? Or is there a cunning way I can use this to set the level?
I have been looking at the soil type for this area and it should be a chalky silty loam. Not soil expert but I’m trying a test involving a jam jar and separating the silt, clay and sand that make up the soil. I know what you’re thinking, bit nerdy, but a bit of science can’t hurt. The soil that I have is 40% sand, 30% silt and 30% clay. So I was wrong with my description as being clay soil.
The other thing I have noticed is that (before the rain!) the ground was very damp so I guess after a pretty dry summer on the whole the heave is not going to be as bad as expected. Having said that, I am now digging down another 150mm because of the rain and to get to 900mm.
So my plan for the next week is to finish digging, shoring as I go, ready for a pour Friday morning. Weather forecast looks good with no weather warnings, fingers crossed eh.
I was thinking about adding rebar where I’ve got steps in the footings, didn’t know if it would be good practise to add elsewhere.
Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated.

Just been talking to my neighbour and he seems to think that this is made up ground. He also pointed out that at 900mm the house foundation still isn't visible, just the blockwork, and at 750mm at the garage the foundation is just visible. I'm starting to think now that surely this foundation should be as deep as the garage at least; it is a glorified shed as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back