Conservatory Radiator and Pipe Work Issue!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hello Everyone,

I am now beginning my second winter at my present house, and I would very much appreciate some advice about a radiator - Gas Central Heating - and the attached pipe work that is in the Conservatory.

The pipe work in the Conservatory runs along an external wall in white plastic trunking to the rad. It doesn't have any lagging/foam surrounding it. The pipe work in the trunking - forward and return - could be too close to the wall, or too close together, meaning the lagging/foam won't go all the way round the pipe work?

In the Conservatory last year the temperature - I have a thermometer placed on the floor next to the pipe work that runs to the rad - at times dropped to -1/-2 degrees.

I normally have the CH on each day until mid-night, and concerning the conservatory valve this is on the 'Anti-Frost' setting. I would then programme the system to come on twice after mid-night, 30 minutes each time, when the forecast would be especially cold. The problem with this is that every time, without fail, the noise of the system running would wake me.

I would appreciate any advice on stopping any potential bursting of the pipes if I don't have the CH on after mid-night? I would like to have a restful night without the Central Heating needing to come on.

A major question I have is: as the temperature in the conservatory can drop to -1/-2 degrees would this be cold enough to burst the pipes considering the CH has been on until mid-night and that the valve on the conservatory rad has been set to Anti-frost?

With regard to taking other helpful measures what do people think of the following:

1) Shall I remove the white trunking and try to put lagging around the pipes?

2) Or would using Spiral Wrap be better?

3) Would it be helpful packing against the plastic trunking a roll of sealed insulation/fibre glass blanket? If this is a good idea and what thickness should I use?

4) Would it be helpful if I filled the trunking with expanding foam? I have an unused can in the garage.

At -1/-2 degrees is it fair to say there shouldn't be any possibility of the radiator bursting in the night, again considering the heating will be on until mid-night?

I would like to thank in advance all those who do respond.

Paul

Sponsored Links
The temp dropping to just below 0c isn't likely to see the pipes freezing, k
it's probably only down that low for a couple of hours anyway. We ahve external pipework and that sort of temp doesn't cuse them any problem (they have frozen and burst when I forgot to turn off the supply, but it was quite a bit colder and for longer).

And we have a conservatory with a rad in (not nomrally used but the pipework runs down to supply a rad in another room) for a few years it was single glazed and drafty, though now double glazed. Never been a problem for us.

Rather than mess about with insulating the pipes, If you are worried I'd put in an electric heater - a small convector maybe, on a plugin stat to come on if the temp drops to low. and then find out why the CH is so noisy and fix that so you can have it come on without waking you up.

Call sentinel or fernox and ask them about antifreeze additive for central heating systems.

Sentinel X500 is an all in one antifreeze/inhibitor additive for all mixed metal systems, the Fernox equivalent additive is Alpha 11 I think.

Sponsored Links
Yes, either add antifreeze or use an electric wire trace heater which you wrap around the pipe.

Tony

Im sure I heard somewhere that it is actually against building regs to put radiators in conservatories because of the possible problems with freezing. But theres loads about. Antifreeze is the cheapest solution for you.

Thank you all for your replies. I have thanked each individually.

I have added a photo if anyone would like to comment further?

In the loft there's a empty 'Sentinel X100' Inhibitor container next to the tank. I remembered this was there when I was in the loft some time ago. I assume this isn't sufficient as it's only an inhibitor? With adding ant-freeze, would I have to drain down the whole CH system? Does anyone have a link on how I could put anti-freeze in the system?

Golaka: The CH system is also noisy in other houses where I live - built in 1995. It appears the construction of the walls doesn't reduce the sound not only of the water running round the CH system but also it's noisy when the up stairs toilet cistern fills up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back