Conservatory structural calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The conservatory I'm planning on building is 900mm above ground level and according to the BCO, this means it is 'controllable' and they want to see full calcs to show structural integrity.

(Conservatory is at internal ground floor level but because of sloping site, its is 900mm above ground level outside).

The builder says this should be covered by FENSA but the BCO says not. The conservatory manufacturer cannot supply structural calcs, only generic British Stantards info which isn't enough for the BCO. Structural Engineer now saying they can't do usual calcs as the aluminium profile inside the uPVC and the joints are too complex.

Do I need a better engineer? Is the BCO being over-the-top? How do other people satisfy this when they put conservatories at first floor level?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This has come up on the forum before, whilst there is nothing in the Regs about this there is an understanding from LABC that in certain circumstances approval should be sought when the ground level is higher. I rang one of my Local Building Control guys for his opinion, he was of the opinion that if the floor level were high enough that it warranted steps that required handrails to access the garden or if a storage room was being built under the conservatory then approval should be sought and not just approval for the floor or access but for the whole lot. He hinted at getting an LABC guidance note written up if i emailed him, which I did, he then emailed the Key players of LABC South West whereupon one of their number wrote back and said it should be a national response so we shall see what is done, if anything in the form of any published guidance.

Nevertheless that is little help to you, what is clear though is that the situation is not clear! :p Different Local Authorities have different opinions on the matter and even different inspectors within the same Local Authority's have different opinions on it.

When alls said and done though as LABC guidance is not law I am still of the opinion that you could call an inspectors bluff and state that as it is not law they have no power to even write to you to say you are in breach of Building Control as it would be hard for a judge to rule in the favour of Building Control.

Your conservatory and base and everything else needs to comply with Building Regulations even though it does not need inspecting. So I would say to your inspector, that if you were to refuse to pay his fee as you believe that you do not lawfully require approval then what would they do about it? And if they said they would write to you to say you were in breach then you could say you will fight them over it and would win and furthermore that you would claim any costs required because a judge would rule in your favour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back