Considering BG to install new heating - any good ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody had new heating installed by BG - would you recommend them.

We are considering a completely new heating system installed by BG (replace old warm air system with condensing boiler and rads). They seem to have a slightly strange arrangement where they have a QUICK look at the house and then want you to agree a price before a final survey. However, the price has gone from 6500 to 4500 to 3500 to 'what are you willing to pay'

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Bg have traditionally been the most expensive installers, get at least 3 quotes and understand the answers to these questions

make and model of boiler
make and model and sizes of rads
which trv's
timescale
who will make good laying carpets floorbaords etc
length of guarenttee and who (them or manufacturer is providing it)
then compare and contrast using the boiler manufacturer websites
take your time its not a race and now is the quiet time for installers so bargain.

Rumour has it that the BG installation side is very quiet at the moment.

Be aware that they have a very limited range of products to select from, and a very limited amount of time to spend ascertaining your requirements.

The good installers are always busy, we have 9 weeks work prebooked for everyone on the company :LOL:

Good things about the company is the long term back up that you will have, they wont dissappear or not answer the phone when you have a problem.

The Branded boilers they do sell are all good appart from the ideal boilers.

They always use 15mm copper and stellrad radiators so no blockages in a couple of years like microbore.

The Rads will be sized properly to you rooms not guessed.

Magnaclean on every new boiler install to protect your new investment.

Full system warranty for up to 5 years and not just boiler etc.

I would say around the £5k would be about normal, they must have been reducing the size of boiler, tank or warranty to reduce the quote to £3500 as you wont get much more than a good boiler from BG for that price.

For the average joe punter who knows nothing, the argument could be that you are going to have a system that will last and not be robbed totally blind then left high and dry when it dont work, but at a slightly elevated price over the private one man band.

Sponsored Links
Rumour has it that the BG installation side is very quiet at the moment.

Next door neighbour had a new boiler fitted today by BG.

Two men two vans all day and a spark later on for the afternoon.

Don't know if they're finished or which boiler they fitted but it was an old Vokera 24-96 RSE they were replacing.

Guessing £3800 for a boiler change although they may have been doing an entire system so they should be back tomorrow if they were.

I recently had a new ch system put in by BG (flat previously didn't have any form of CH) WB24i junior, 4 rads, vertical flue. Cost was approx £4k. They weren't that uncompetitive compared to the local guys but I made sure the salesman was aware of the prices quoted by others and I think that helped.

As has been mentioned they do size rads properly, the BG salesman was the only one who measured my rooms and checked water pressure etc before quoting which set them apart.

As far as the actual work they were brilliant, looked after my home, tidied up after themselves, they asked whenever they were unsure of where I wanted pipes routed etc etc. Nice professional job at the end. The timeclocks/stats/TRV are branded as scottish gas but are just rebadged mainstream items (drayton stat and timeclock can't remember who made the TRV's).

I guess BG has their good and bad installers but mine certainly knew his onions, and the main thing is they aren't going to go into hiding a couple of weeks later.

I would advise getting a few quotes and making sure the BG rep knows about it before he starts quoting, like I said I'm sure that helped keep the price down for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back