Construction lumber for 4-poster bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all!
I've been wanting to build a large 4-poster, canopy style bed, using 4x4's for the posts, and 2x6's and 4x4's for the side and top rails. I'm not a builder of fine furniture, but know my way around a hammer and miter saw. This is something I've been wanting to build for a long time, and if it turns out well, I'll most likely take the plunge and construct another out of hardwoods.
My question(s)... It's been quite a while since I've built anything, stopped at Home Depot yesterday to pick up lumber, and am really surprised at how moist the lumber is. I did not buy pressure treated lumber, but apparently did get 'green' lumber. From the bit I've read last night, it sounds like this stuff will take a few months for its moisture content to drop enough to be useful, and will most likely cup and warp in the process. Should I return all this lumber and find another source in Phoenix that carries kiln dried lumber or ?? What options do I have? Trying not to break the bank on lumber costs until I know I like what I've designed!

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Ron

Sponsored Links
Kiln dried would be more suitable though as this is a UK site can't help with locating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back