Consumer unit and bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a quote for £400 for a new consumer unit, bonding and new cooker installation. He came round today to fit it and when he turned the electrics off he said there was a fault and left immediately saying he would need to do another quote.

So we got a second electrician round who found the fault, which was for our house alarm system that we don't use so he disconnected it. He said he'd ring us back with a final quote but expected it to be about £400 again.

To be on the safe side we got another electrician to quote us. He said it would cost us a minimum of £800 assuming there were no other issues. He said the others were trying to rip us off and would definitely find faults to charge us for. He said the consumer unit would cost £350 alone. He then started saying that if we didn't decide soon we would have to wait two weeks until he could do it.

I realise there may be problems that crop up when doing this and that the quote might change. But what is realistic here? I realise that price varies across the country(we're in yorkshire) but what is realistic here? Please, any help or advice would be useful as we don't have anyone recommended and are now very confused by it all!

Sponsored Links
I would say that the £400 sounds about right.

New 17th CU approx £100, cooker point £50, bonding upto £50

Then to carryout installation and full Inpsection and test (this is required because of the new CU) about £120 to £200.

If it helps I would happily call and quote :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back