consumer unit replacement recommendations

Sponsored Links
I think you can still get RCBOs for that unit if you wanted to spend money just for the sake of it. However personally I'd leave it well alone.

I would say the most cost effective thing to do is stick with what you have got.
You could consider using RCBOs on the non RCD protected side of your CU.

Cheers, the brown rcd doesn't work and I can't seem to find any new ones listed on the net hence why I thought of replacing it. Any ideas where to source one and the rcbo's please?

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks Adam it is the A100HE that I need. OMG New prices are ridiculous and it would be cheaper to buy a new CU!

I have only pushed the test button on the rcd which no longer trips the switch, whereas it used to about 6months ago...

How did you discover the dangerous wiring and what is dangerous about it? If you are worried about the CU and your electrics, get a PIR done. This will tell you if you need to replace anything.

the MEM Memera 2000 is very good quality and you are unlikely to get anything as good if you buy a new one. The most usual cause of an RCD seizing is that it has not had the test button operated regularly, as printed on the unit. The RCD will only trip if it has power to it when you test it. It may trip to a half-way position, then you manually push it fully "off" before returming it to the "on" position.

p.s. the red and plack plastic tabs sticking out of the top of your main switch are supposed to be pushed down to cover the terminal screws, which are permanent live. Only touch them with an insulated tool. A chisel-tip VDE screwdriver is suitable. You may as well check the screws for tightness, using an insulated screwdriver, before pushing the covers down. Do not lose or throw away these tabs. You can see they are in position on the RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back