consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone please help me , i am wanting to change my old consumer for a new one and move it at the same time but, the circuit tails i.e 2.5 and 1.5 are to short thease will end up in a cavity wall and be plasterd over after joining wot is the correct method to extened thease please, i have the main power before the consumer turned of. i would be very greatfull of your help :cry:

Sponsored Links
1) Cables should not be run in wall cavities

2) This topic has been covered several times before - do a search for terms such as extending, joining, crimping, crimp, crimps....

thanks m8 had a look allthought some contradicted others i think as it is only 1 ring main i will crimp them and put them in a plas box surface mounted for accesabilaty,thank again

i would also like to change my old consumer unit for a new one one in one out please help thank you :(

Sponsored Links
Do you know about the new electrical-related provisions of the Building Regulations?

What do you know/not know about what's involved in replacing a CU?

Do you have an isolation switch before the CU?

Do you have a TT supply, or TN-S/TN-C-S?

I'm not saying that you can't do this, but I do feel, given what you asked, that there is a great deal that you don't yet know, and what is worse, probably don't realise that you don't know...

HI THERE HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ADVICE I HAVE AN exsisting CONSUMER pannel AND IT IS TT EARTH.THE MAINS INTO THE PROPERTY HAS BEEN REPLACED BEFORE I HAD MOVED IN.THERE IS A nuetral AND A PHASE.THE PHASE GOTO THE SERVICE HEAD VIA A 60AMP FUSE THE n IS GOING TO A MULTI BLOCK SEALED,I WOULD LIKE TO GO p.m.e . THE MAINS COME INTO THE HOUSE FROM THE GROUND. I WAS TOLD THAT IF IT COMES FROM ABOVE THIS COULD BE A PROB IF A TREE FOR EXAMPLE FELL ON THE NEUTRAL LINE AND CUT THROUGH THIS WOULD LEAVE NO EARTH. WOULD YOU LEAVE IT TT OR GO pme. AND SHOULD I reconect THE TT EARTH WITH THE PME ..THANKS

darenj - a switch from TT to TN-C-S/PME is not something you can do. The doing of it, and the decision over whether it should be done, is the province of your DNO.

ChrisRogers said:
Could you please not use capitals, it is considered shouting
Nice of him to highlight his spelling mistakes by using lower case, though....

ban-all-sheds said:
ChrisRogers said:
Could you please not use capitals, it is considered shouting
Nice of him to highlight his spelling mistakes by using lower case, though....

maybe he just wants to speak quietly at those points so no one can hear him make the mistake?!

thanks for the help i will contact them. i would just like to add that i thought you were here to help no to take the mick out of people. spelling has never been a strong point of mine but then i can imagine that you guys are the best at every thing. don't mean to sound nasty i am greatfull for your advice but i don't see the point to it. . :evil:

daren j said:
thanks for the help i will contact them. i would just like to add that i thought you were here to help no to take the mick out of people. spelling has never been a strong point of mine but then i can imagine that you guys are the best at every thing. don't mean to sound nasty i am greatfull for your advice but i don't see the point to it. . :evil:
Sorry - I wasn't really taking the **** - not seriously, or in a nasty-meaning way, anyway. The point about you shouting was quite correctly made, and I just found it curious that the only words that you hadn't shouted were the misspelled ones.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back