Contemplating shed build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm new here and after some help and advice. I need a shed in my garden that will be somewhere for me to go and hide from the family and hopefully use as a workshop. It seems decent ready built sheds cost a fortune so I'm contemplating building my own. I appreciate it may not save me money but hopefully I'd end up with a good shed, and learn a lot in the process too.

So far I've been using Sketchup to put a design together and have come up with the basic box, 8'x8' built up using 2x2 framing. For the base I was thinking of a 3x2 (or 4x2) frame resting on three reclaimed sleepers, unsure of what the best flooring material would be though, or the best thickness. For the walls I've looked at how people put stud walls together and tried to recreate that sort of thing. Cladding would be either shiplap or t+g of some sort. Does anyone ever wrap the frame in plastic (dpm) before cladding, would it be a good idea?

The roof would be a gabled one to give me a little overhead storage in the roof space for light stuff. Making rafters doesn't look too hard.

How am I doing so far? Never built a shed before but I've done plenty of surfing the 'net and watching youtube videos lately on the subject. It all looks deceptively easy to do, but I bet there are plenty of areas where you can fall down.

Any input or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Simon.

Sponsored Links
If I've done it right the link should tell you there is no preview available, then it gives you a download button. Of course you need to have Sketchup installed to be able to open the downloaded file.

Thanks for your comments. I had thought about maybe using 3x2 for the framing, I read somewhere it may be cheaper to buy that size anyway. I guess you can use thinner, cheaper board for the roof, maybe 9mm. I was thinking 18mm for the floor.

Wouldn't 4 sleepers be OTT? With 3 for an 8' shed the space between them would only be around 30" or so wouldn't it? They're 12" wide aren't they?

Simon

Sponsored Links
with three you would only have one central so 30 plus inches on the span
what width are the sleepers

I was thinking they were 12" but I just checked and they appear to be 10". I've not bought anything yet so that may change. It's more of a feasibilty study right now.

I make it a max of around 30" max span between sleepers if I used three. Would that be too much? Doesn't appear so to me. But as I said in my first post I've never built a shed before!

Simon

for the sake off one sleeper you reduce the strength off the floor by around half

if you plan on using anything heavy then definately use 4

a point to note find out what size off planking are available
as in sheet material is imperial size 8x4ft [1220x2440] where as planks are metric and come in at 1200 and 300mm incriments up to 5.2
so you would need around 1250on the outside so 3.9 will give you 3 planks as opposed to 2.7 giving you 2planks

Would it really make that much difference, I hadn't realised. I'm not planning on anything very heavy in there but you never know, one more sleeper wouldn't add much to the cost I guess.

Do you mean planking for the floor? I did wonder if old (but good) scaffold boards might be usable for the floor. There is a place not too far me that sells good used boards.

Did you have any more luck with the link? I'm guessing by the lack of replies that no-one else has tried it. It would be good to know if it has worked or not, it is the first time I've shared a file that way. Sketchup is free, just in case you're not aware of it.

Simon.

Thanks for your input.

I'm now redrawing the design using a different timber size. I also still need to convince the missus it's a good idea!

Ta,

Simon.

point out it will keep you out off her hair
and you will be able to now make home made furniture and stuff for the garden with your new found skills and space without messing the house :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back