Continual failure to connect resulting in 721 error code.

Sponsored Links
Excellent. I don't suppose you took your laptop to your Dad's did you ? I can happily talk you through the setting up of these.

I am not there yet. We'll be going tomorrow, early afternoon. Yes, I certainly am going to take my laptop.

These are excellent user friendly routers m8. I don't know what the PM rules are here but if you want my number you can call me and I'll talk you through the setup if you wish, or I'll do my best on here . Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
It seems you have to make "friends" first. Jesus. I only know how to make enemies. ;) Let's try and do it on here if that's OK. If you start to find it all a near-death experience then we'll go the PM route. What a palaver? Thanks alot, Box.

No sweat fella. It's a breeze. I'll dumb it down. Appologies if this is insulting, but you can skip the obvious bits.

As before, uninstall everything Tiscali/Speedtouch related as described earlier.

Connect the router to the filter/plug in power supply and plug an ethernet cable into any of the ports on the back of the router and the other end into the laptop.

Click on Start , Control panel and double click internet options. Click on conections tab.

There shoudl be NO connectiosn listed in the dial up box and the 'never dial a connection option should be selected and 'greyed' out.

Click on LAN settings. Make sure there is a tick in the first box only.

Close these windows.

Open internet explorer

In the address bar type the following address:

http://192.168.0.1

You will be prompted for a username and password. The username is 'admin' and the password is the word 'password'. please remove the quote '' marks . i.e. admin , password .

Click on Setup wizard

Follow the wizard through entering the tiscali username and password that Dad was given when he first signed up with Tiscali. Assuming of course he hasn't changed either of them.

This should now establish a connection, and you can shut the windows. Open Internet Explorer and you should connect.

If it does't connect, look at the router. Does it have a green illuminated symbol that looks like a lower case letter i with a circle around it ?

Give us some feedback and we'll sort this no problem.

Disclaimer: It's after 10pm and I have had a drinky or two, please excuse all typo's :confused:

Sorry about the lack of contact this last week. As it turned out we never got to my folks’ place. My partner’s dad took a turn for the worse last Saturday – he has been very ill for the last few months – so we have been occupied with him. Also I seem to have succumbed to flu so I have confined myself to bed for the last few days.

Anyway a mate of mine was able to check out my dad’s connection issues. As you suggested, Box, he deleted all refs to Tiscali & Speedtouch but had problems trying to instal the router. This was pretty much as I experienced when I tried some while ago. For reasons still unsubstantiated XP crashes at some stage in the process. He actually connected his own laptop to the Netgear and got it working properly, so there is no problem with the router.

So he reinstalled the modem and managed to connect successfully. He updated the recently installed Malwarebytes and SuperAnit-Spyware. SAS drew blanks but Malware came up with Rogue.Antivirus and Adware.Trymedia. These are now quarantined. Then AVG was run and this detected Trojan horse Generic 15.ABOB, also quarantined.
We have not had a virus on this laptop before so I wonder if this might be due to the removal of ZoneAlarm (due to probs covered earlier) and subsequent reliance on the Windows Firewall.

Result: the laptop connects reasonably well given that the network only supports a p*ss-poor 512 kbps and the Speedtouch modem works fine despite earlier concerns. He does get the 721 error rather alot but this seems to be remedied by simply pulling the USB connection out, waiting 30 seconds and reconnecting.

I will be going up for Christmas so will have time to look at router then.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Back